Fairy Garden (Concrete Leaf Roof)

Have Fun Making Your Own Fairy Garden!
fairy garden concrete leaf roof, flowers, gardening, succulents
I had promised to show you the use of my concrete leaves and here is the first one. My Fairy Garden, using part of a leftover piece of a bird bath fountain and a concrete leaf for the roof of the fairy house.
My hubby continually said, "No" to a Fairy Garden, even though if I had really wanted one I would have just made one. The opportunity arose when he brought back from the farm an old wagon that was in his family, and I said that would make a great Fairy Garden.
So it began . . . . .
*First I lined the wagon with two tin foil pans used for baking. I didn't want the wagon to rust through the bottom. Also, I had decided that I wanted it inside our home. Crazy you say, well after the work that I put into it along with the expense, the last thing I wanted were pesky squirrels digging it up.
*Then I filled the wagon with potting soil.
*Decide where your house is going to be located and what kind of house you want. There are some absolutely awesome fairy houses for sale. But, I wanted an original and this is an original and one of a kind. I started with this piece of a salvaged fountain piece from a bird bath, it has been laying around in different garden spaces for years. So it already had some natural patina. I painted the mushrooms and other items on the salvaged piece along with adding some highlights on the stones.
*I tried several concrete leaves for the roof, until I found one that fit perfectly. No, I hadn't planned on making a fairy garden at the time I made the leaves. Just sort of worked out that way! The roof was then painted with a mixed color wash. There was no rhyme nor reason for the color, other than matching the house. I pretty much just fly by the seat of my pants.
*I started laying packaged moss on the soil. I also tucked moss into the cracks and crevices of the house.
*It doesn't show in this picture, but I did add a few pieces of live moss to the roof of the house. It does need sprayed with water often.
*I dug up a rock with real moss on it for the dam of the pond. The blue rock is the water for the pond.
*The troll house is from an old floral swag. The white rock is a path.
*The three rocks are part of the edge of the pond.
*I arranged and rearranged everything a time or two.
*Start adding live plants. A miniature peace lily is in the background and in the foreground baby tears. These are actually my second set of plants. I had a miniature hosta, miniature thyme and a wire vine first. They are all outside in my garden now and hopefully will do better there. These plants are better suited as houseplants, so I do hope they do better. Several of the greenhouses in my area are caring miniature plants for fairy gardens at this time.
*The green looking rock is a succulent.
*The fairies, troll and added decorations were purchased at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

Minnie's Milestones by Jonni

• Marc Erick

I'mstarting my first fairy garden and you've given me some great ideas! Very happy I came across your post! Do you still have this garden? Thank you for sharing!

• Actually i do, but I did have to remove everything and put in a pond liner. Thank you for the question. Please let me know if you have further questions.

• I was in Home Depot today, and they have the cutest fairy houses, a strawberry, asparagus and something else. If I had someplace to put another fairy garden I would with them. I also am trying to figure out how to make fairy doors and I am going to put them around my neighborhood trees.

• Marc Erick

Ha! I was just there today and found some awesome succulents. I'm in the process of making my garden..so far I've lined my container with a heavy duty trash bag but perhaps I'll grab a pond liner before I go any further as it will be inside as was yours. I'll have to pist some pics when finished. Thanks for the tips and ideas!! I'm thinking of adding a small water feature too...we'll see!

• Linda

It's beautiful !!!!!!
  • Marlene

Marlene Grafton NSW

6-4-2017

I love the wagon ill am looking to buy a wagon to make one.🤔😀🤗