Kathy
Kathy
  • Washburn, WI
Asked on Aug 30, 2018

How do I makeover this room without removing ugly the ugly rug?

JWHughes Design and ConstructionFaith | Design Fixation
+8

Help. Rug needs to stay all else can go . Will paint

q frontroom makeover but ugly rug needs to stay

just a hodgepodge of things

• Lisa S.

Kathy - your picture does not give a good view of the room. I m assuming that you want to keep the red leather sofa. Think about painting a deep blue. Place an oriental area rug with traditional colors with red and blue over the area rug in sofa area. New window treatment. Topper placed inches above the window. Window blind and sheers - with the drapes. Coffee table .

• Annie

You put a question mark. Must it stay? If yes, I’d use very light colors in furniture, walls and window treatments. That carpet is a force to be dealt with!

• Kathy

Oops yes rug needs to stay for now. It has a light purple in it

• Ireland ☘️

Hello Kathy ... Is this a rental property? You could cover the the main part of the rug with another solid color area rug. If it’s not a rental paint the carpet!

• Lathie McKinney

Paint the walls first. You could also buy slip covers for the furniture. New curtains or valance. Rearrange the furniture in a more appealing layout and BAM instant makeover.

• Unexpected Elegance

I would move the couch away from the wall and purchase a large rug to go over the carpet. 😊

• Annie

Just noticed more pictures...it looks like hardwood is in the adjoining room. Have you checked to see if there’s not hardwood in the living room as well? If you’re in a rental, maybe the landlord would let you rip it out as long as you refinish it. Honestly, I could not live with that carpet unless you have zero options.

• I would paint the walls a very pale gray color, and then stick with darker gray hues for the furniture, curtains, etc. Then add pops of color (maybe turquoise?) in the form of throw pillows and wall art. You could also layer a jute rug over your carpet to give it a different vibe.

• Change the curtains and repaint the wall! You can aso change the tv furniture and its position, place the tv stand in front of the curtain.

• JW

Am I right in thinking that you have two sofas' in this room ?

Is the property rented ?

What is your style ...farmhouse...modern ...vintage etc ?