Outdoor Table Runner DIY

$20

Who else loves sometimes indulging and making something you don't really need, but that will look nice? That's how I felt about this table runner. :) Sure, I didn't really need an outdoor table runner, but I thought it would be nice to have! Also, I was on maternity leave and looking to fill my time while my daughter napped. So I packed her up, and we headed out to the fabric store one morning.

I came home
outdoor table runner diy
Because I'm cheap, I decided to buy one piece that was about half the size I needed. Then I cut two pieces from it and sewed them together to get the total length I needed for my runner. This is more work but is cheaper and results in less fabric waste.

You can see that I took a yard stick and marked where I'd cut each panel above (for the width measurement, I made sure to take into account what the hem allowance would be). Next I sewed those two panels together using a straight seam. Here's an imagine of the long piece that resulted: (also, Henry the nosy helper)
outdoor table runner diy
Next I hemmed the sides. I did so by folding over an ironing a small area all along each side. Then I pinned it down and sewed it using a straight seam, removing the pins as I went.
outdoor table runner diy
Once the long edges were cleaned up, I repeated the process for the ends. I did a a big of a thicker hem on the ends thinking it might help weigh it down a bit more and provide a cleaner edge to hang off the side of the table:
outdoor table runner diy
And that's that!
outdoor table runner diy
You can check out more details and poke around at the original post linked below

If you like outdoor projects, definitely pop over to see my outdoor coffee table made of 2x2 and concrete pavers and an entire post dedicated to my tiny backyard full of projects!

• Fabric suitable for outdoor use  (Jo-Ann)
  • Iron
  • Ironing board
Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn