How do you get rid of mold on the ceiling in the house?

I just saw three or four four inch trails of mold on the inside ceiling leading from the outside porch ceiling. It appears to be black. What type of health danger does this present? Also, the fan in the bathroom does not work. Would there be mold there too? (It is not my house but I am staying here for a few months). How do I tell them without insulting?

  3 answers
  • Wil29234912 Wil29234912 on Aug 30, 2018

    I would let them know, and I don't believe it would be an insult. Mold can ruin your home, I think they would value the information before it becomes a costly issue.

  • Dee Dee on Aug 30, 2018

    You need to tell the owners, because black mold can be a health hazard. The source of the mold must be found, so that it can be taken care of. It could be a leak in the roof or even in the insulation.


    Use this to kill mold with vinegar, use white distilled vinegar which you can buy cheaply from the supermarket.

    1. Pour some vinegar into a spray bottle without watering it down.
    2. Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour.
    3. Wipe clean the area with water and allow the surface to dry.

    My bathroom does not have an exhaust vent, because it was not code when the house was built. But I open the window even on hot days to air the room out and so that I do not have to worry about mold in my walk in shower.


    • Kate Kate on Aug 30, 2018

      Thank you for taking the time to answer . I appreciate it!!!!!!

  • Mold in the house is a BIG deal. If only surface mold, vinegar is your go to. Vinegar kills the mold spores, bleach does not. And yes there could very well be mold in the fan too. You will need to take it apart to verify.


    https://www.servicemasterrestore.com/blog/mold-damage/mold-myths-will-vinegar-kill-mold/


    https://www.servicemaster-restoration-cleaning.com/2017/03/30/mold-myths/


    https://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm


    Here is a basic overview of mold and health issues. If left untreated and the house becomes infested, it can make you really sick.


    https://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm


    They may not have realized it is there. Chances are the house needs better ventilation. I would gently point it out and show them the links about using vinegar. Just be super sweet and I am sure they will want to remedy as any mold is detrimental to their property.

Your comment...