Making a Fall Tic Tac Toe Board

$5

This is a fun and easy way to make a fall tic tac toe board game. Using a thrifted tray, paint, and craft pumpkins and pine cones, a plain tray is easily transformed into a fun board game for fall decor.

making a fall tic tac toe board
I wanted to make my game board using a tray. I have quite a few thrift store find trays in my stash, so I sorted through them until I found one that I thought would be good for a game board. This tray is one that I had used as a mat for painting, so it looked even worse now than it did when I bought it at Goodwill.

making a fall tic tac toe board
I gave it one coat of white chalk paint thinking that I was going to have this be the final color. But, after thinking about where I would be placing the game board in our sun room, I decided it needed to be a different color. It’s going to sit atop an off white coffee table, so I needed some contrast.

I used Waverly Chalk paint in Pumpkin color. I gave it two coats of paint and followed that with Waverly Clear Wax. I used a sponge brush to apply it and a lint free cloth to wipe the excess wax off.

making a fall tic tac toe board
I found this cute pumpkin ribbon on sale at Micheal’s recently. I cut it in strips after measuring the dimensions of the tray. It’s attached with Gorilla Clear Grip Glue. 

making a fall tic tac toe board
I ran a piece of the ribbon around the outside of the tray, too. It’s attached in several spots with glue.

I bought the small pumpkins and pine cones at Michael’s. The pine cones were in the flower pick section so they were pulled away from the stem before painting.

making a fall tic tac toe board
The pumpkins were spray painted with Rust-Oleum Serenity Blue Chalked spray paint. I used Rust-Oleum Metallic Copper spray paint for the pine cones.  

making a fall tic tac toe board
This will make a fun piece to have on our coffee table in the sun room during fall. Since I already had most of the items I used to make this on hand, the cost was low, too.

I'd love to have you stop by the blog for more budget friendly fall ideas!

making a fall tic tac toe board

• Thrift Store Tray  (Goowiil)
  • Waverly Paint  (Walmart)
  • Waverly Clear Wax  (Walmart)
Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd