Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

A Little Bit of Shiplap

$17

Shiplap - almost everyone knows what it is thanks to Joanna Gaines but not everyone wants to shiplap their entire house or even a room.

Here’s a little project to get a little bit of shiplap in your decor.

a little bit of shiplap

I have this table that’s okay but very plain - a perfect canvas for a little bit of shiplap.

Step 1: Clean the table

Using mild soap and water, I wiped the table and then allowed it to dry.

a little bit of shiplap

Step 2: Remove legs

The legs on this table unscrewed and I could easily remove them. This isn’t something you have to do but it makes the project a little easier.

a little bit of shiplap

Step 3: Sand table

Using a medium grit sandpaper, I sanded the entire table, legs included. This table has a laminate covering which is easy to sand.

Step 4: Wipe clean

After the entire table was sanded, I wiped it clean with mild soap and water and allowed it to dry.

a little bit of shiplap

Step 5: Paint

A - I painted the sides of the table

B - and painted the legs too

a little bit of shiplap

Step 6: Cut the wood to size

Because this is a little project, I used paint stir sticks as my shiplap.

A - If you look at a paint stirrer, it is curved at the top.

B - Using a utility knife & speed square, I made my cut just below the curve.

C - Once it's scored,I placed my thumbs behind the stirrer

D - and I snapped it and half

E - There was wood that was left after it was snapped in half, so I cut that with the utility knife

F - I cut 75 stirrers for this project

a little bit of shiplap

Step 7: Applying wood

Beginning at the bottom corner, I applied wood glue to the back of the first stick and aligned it in the bottom corner.

a little bit of shiplap

A - When I reached the end of the first row, the last stirrer overhung the end

B & C - I marked the stirrer

D - I cut at the mark and glued it to the table.

a little bit of shiplap

To begin the next row, I started at the far end of the table with a full paint stirrer and worked my way to the close end - see the numbers above.

At each end, I had to cut a stirrer to length.

You want to make sure that you stagger the ends of the stirrers so you don't have seam across the table.

a little bit of shiplap

Step 8: Stain

I allowed the table to dry for an hour then stained the top using Minwax Early American stain.

I removed any excess stain with a soft cloth.

And here’s the little shiplap table! It looks so much better and has more personality than the plain table.

a little bit of shiplap

Step 9: Seal

Once the stain was dry, I applied Minwax Wood Seal using a soft cloth.

a little bit of shiplap

Here is the table. Scroll to the top and look at it before and now after.

The difference is amazing, isn't it? I just love it.

• Becky

So I am wondering just what that original IKEA table cost vs. the incurred cost to change that whole thing!? Was it really worth it? What would be the price to purchase that table in the "completed" state?!!

• Gale

It's all about the creativity , taking something plain and making it whatever you want. Anyone can buy a table, but making it yours, feeling good about it, taking pride in it, that's what DIY is about. So many people have a NEED to create, that's why we do it.

• Erma Williams

I don’t have a question about this project , but one from the past I think last year , you made canisters Out of empty coffee containers, I want to know how to make them please my name is Erma

• Alicia W

Hi Erma. That wasn't my project; however, you could search "canisters" to find the project you are seeking.

• Kathy Bishop Belnap

I don't get HGTV, so the assumption in the 1st line is incorrect-- I DON'T know what shiplap is.

I see what it is supposed to look like, at the end of the project. But what is the Real Thing?

• Jeannie Collins-Ardern

Hi Kathy.

Shiplap was originally just that: boards that were taken from old ships and used to "finish" the inside of a house. It is laid horizontally, and ranges in board width, from about 6" to 12". It can primarily be found in old homes along the eastern and southern coastal areas in the US. Originally it was left untreated celebrating the wood (cheaper and easier too), but usually it is painted, and usually white. Browse through any issue of Magnolia, Joanna Gaines' magazine, or her website to see applications of it - she uses it a lot to get the "farmhouse" feel. It can be used as a wainscoting or on the entire wall.