Asked on Aug 30, 2018

How can I makeover this china hutch?

Debi53Lynn Babin FontaineNancy Nichols Smith
+11

I have an old china hutch that used to be my mothers. I dont want to get rid of it but I really think it is an eye sore. I live in a one bedroom apartment

q what to do with this china hutch
  • Dee

First off is it an antique? If so leave it alone. If not you can paint it white or light gray and it will be updated.

• Sjm33002172

If not an antique, you could paint and /or varnish a darker color. Maybe change out the glass for mirrors (maybe antiqued) or even wall paper, so that you could use it as valuable storage space. vs display.

• Kathy miro

Paint it a nice milk paint color yellow or baby blue

• If you want a drastic change, you could sand it down and repaint with a lighter color, possibly some chalk paint. Another way to change the look of this is to remove the doors completely and add shelves. It would be great as a bookcase/ entertainment stand.

• Sherri

Corrine, is it one or two pieces? Sometimes they are even screwed together. It's worth it to take a look. Sure would be a lot easier to just use the top or bottom in a small apartment. Good luck.

• Sherri

After you paint or restain it, you could Mod Podge some fabric behind the glass doors and use it in your bedroom for clothes instead of a traditional bureau. You could add shelves behind the lower doors if you need to or, as suggested, remove a door or two for open shelving. Good luck.

• Pat33963193

This is beautiful! I wouldn't do anything to it. Is there somewhere you can store it for later use? If you paint it, the paint will be permanent.

• Nancy Nichols Smith

I wood remove the top center door and the bottom center door, and remove all the shelves in the center except the top one and make it a computer work station. Bottom side cabinets can be made into file drawers by adding plastic milk cartons that could easily slide in and out. It could also house the CPU and hardware.

Top glassed side cabinets can be display, paper storage, printer access, and it is easy to put in a keyboard drawer in the center bottom space. Just thinking how nice it would be to have all in one space....

• Painting it with chalk paint is the easiest solution. I did my mothers that was handed down to me and I love the way it turned out.

• Debi53
    An hour ago

Paint it a light color that--white, gray, cream, etc. Paint the back wall behind the glass doors and accent color--aqua, yellow, blue--whatever works with your decor. You could also stencil or wallpaper the back of the cabinet for more interest. Then use pretty dishes or a collection to decorate the shelves.