Simple DIY Outdoor Chair for a Small Balcony or Patio

$28

I have a very narrow balcony that's also not that big and I find it's very difficult to find furniture, that will fit and be comfortable, especially a chair. I had some wood I could recycle for this project so I set out to design a simple chair that I could build using that wood.
simple diy outdoor chair for a small balcony
I used 2"x3" and 1"x6" and since I don't have a workshop to build, I designed the chair so it would be easy to put together in my dining room using just a drill and a few other hand tools.
I started by assembling the legs, using a speed square to make sure everything is square. I also used SPAX exterior screws to save time - they are self-drilling so no need for pilot holes!

The next part of the project is putting together the back. I could have used screws but for this chair, I thought it would be fun to try using wood dowels instead.
It can be tricky to line up the holes so I ordered this doweling jig kit from amazon. It works with a regular drill do no need for special tools.
I had never used this before so I tested it out on some scrap wood first and it worked like a charm.
It was a bit time consuming to do but it was also a lot of fun and very easy, and all the holes lines up perfectly!
The next thing I did was lay out the boards for the seat and attach the legs to the seat boards.
Once that was done came the most satisfying part of the project, attaching the back to the seat to finally make this a chair! As a finishing touch, I added some pieces to the front of the chair to make it match the sides and the back.
I used a solid weatherproofing stain from BEHR in a color called pewter and last but not least, I added cushions that a friend made to make the chair more comfy. I'm so happy with how it turned out and I especially love that this chair is simple to make and also easy to customize to fit any space.
I have lots more details and helpful hints on the building process on my blog and in the video. Enjoy!

• 2"x3"  (recycled)
  • 1"x6"  (recycled)
Engineer Your Space

• Carol

Wow! Now that's a beautiful job!!! Fantastic chair and it looks very sturdy too. You should be very proud of yourself. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Debra McMenamin

Looks professional. Job well done!