Asked on Aug 31, 2018

How to decorate a mantel?

SueLorriBDee
+6

We installed our large screen tv over the fireplace mantel. It is so black and ugly. What can I place on either end of the mantel to soften the big black screen, but not distract from watching when tv is on.

q how to decorate a mantel
  • Unexpected Elegance

It doesn't look like there is much room on either end, but you could always add some pottery and small plants to bring in some color?

• Mer25239525

maybe a vine type of look that runs up the sides and extends into the upper space. It will look better f you draw the attention away from the tv,

• Barbara
    11 hours ago

find another place for the TV.

• Kate
    11 hours ago

couple of tall vases with glass balls/beads in them. Maybe tall grass/birch branches Fabric panels along sides

• Dee
    8 hours ago

I would take the TV down. Over the mantle is not a good place for a TV and heat can ruin the screen.

• LorriB
    8 hours ago

There's room for a nice mantle garland that can be draped down the sides a bit. Pick some nice slender decoration for each side of the fireplace legs depending on your theme. For example, a pair of tall, slender nutcrackers would look great. Tall narrow vases with berry sprays or lighted twigs, a selection of wrapped boxes in different sizes, an arrangement of pillar candles in front of the fireplace itself to lessen that black hole! There are lots of options but as I said it depends if you have a theme you want to follow. You can also play a dvd of christmas images on the screen when you're not watching tv itself, almost like a moving art gallery!

• Sue
    An hour ago

How about possibly adding a second mantle shelf a about halfway down the mantle front above the opening and then adding your things like plants, display pieces, etc.

I think moving the TV is the best idea.