Nightstand Makeover - Ombré Finish With Blending Technique

$80

I found this beautiful French Provincial nightstand at the Goodwill Store near my house, and it was in very good shape, except for some ugly scratches on its top. I snapped it up right away.
My color inspiration was the Caribbean sea, and I had all the colors I needed to work on it.
I will tell you all about my process here, but if you'd like to see me in action, watch my five-minute video tutorial and you will see, step-by-step, how I did it.
I started by sanding down the top and light sanding the rest of the piece with a 120 grit sandpaper. Next, I cleaned it well with water and vinegar, then sprayed one coat of clear shellac, which I use as a primer to increase paint adhesion and avoid bleeding.
I applied a base coat of General Finishes Antique white using my paint sprayer.
I got all four colors of chalk paint and poured a little blob of each one on my paper plate. I sprayed water on my brush, then dabbed it on my plate making sure to touch all four colors. Then I started brushing them across the top in a linear motion, letting the colors blend over the surface. I kept my brush wet at all times.
I wanted an ombré finish, so I tried to brush mostly green and teal on the higher areas, with just a few hints of mint and white. I did most of my strokes in one direction. From the top, halfway down to the bottom, because I wanted the lower areas to have less paint. I used a clean brush to work with my light colors, mint, and white. This time I started brushing from the bottom, stopping halfway to the top, in order to get a smooth transition between the dark and the light areas.
To avoid hard streaks of paint, I went over the surface with a clean, wet brush, before the paint was dry. That made some dark colors drip over my light area and to solve that problem, I just went back with a clean, dry brush and removed the excess of water.
When I was happy with the result, I sealed the piece with three coats of General Finishes Top Coat, satin.

I blended two very delicate metallic colors for the pulls. Modern Masters Champagne and Oyster. I sealed them with clear shellac.

Here is how it looks now! You can see the detailed tutorial and many more pictures of it on my blog post.
Thanks for reading!

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Patty
    Patty

Why did you decide to paint in in a linear direction? The colors are beautiful. You did a great job.

• Cheryl Hagen
      Cheryl Hagen

I love, love , love this!! Can I paint a column is my house like this? What a beautiful job!

• Lollie
    Lollie

It's gorgeous. I Think you did a beautiful job, thanks for sharing.

Lollie

• Joanie
    Joanie

It is real pretty........I'm sure a teenager would love the drip painting look. I love the colors!