DesertRose
DesertRose
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Phoenix, AZ

Bear and Basket for House #

$10

We had a wooden bear gifted to us years ago by my dearest friend. If you knew her, you would love her too. Each year I lovingly clean off the bear and paint it. Since this is Labor Day weekend (the last hooray for picnics), I decided to add seasons to our lovable bear and put our house number on it. The best part will be to change out the basket contents and ribbon for the changing seasons. Right now it is
bear and basket for house
I chose a small wire basket for the "pic-a-nic" bear basket (picnic is pronounced here like a Yogi Bear voice). By advice of the store clerk, I used a bright ribbon that is heavier than the silk ones, so it would stand up to the weather and not fade in the sun. I will change it for Thanksgiving and also Christmas as well as the contents of the basket. Lights can be added also to show the numbers at night or for the holidays.
bear and basket for house
Besides the bear, I gathered imitation fruit, the special ribbon, and house numbers with their tacks included.
bear and basket for house
I cleaned off the bear and got it ready to paint.
bear and basket for house
I used some indoor/outdoor paint I had on hand, but any out door paint made for wood works.
bear and basket for house
I let the bear dry for over an hour, then I spray painted it again.
bear and basket for house
Using a hammer I tacked the numbers on and hanged the pic-a-nic basket on the bear paws. You can see I had two little helpers. Since adding the basket we decided to find a perfect spot on or near our deck and front door. That is the last step. We decided to put it right next to the front door on our porch where it would be seen by all our callers.
bear and basket for house
The only thing hard about this project was deciding on the paint and waiting for it dry.
bear and basket for house
Be prepared to apply more than one coat on dry wood. You may need more than one can of paint. I had these on hand and used all of two opened cans.