Asked on Sep 3, 2018

How to repair scale in washer or line?

Cor32419347Sarah BarganierJudy
+14

I just noticed this. I drained and spun but afraid it’ll just cycle itself every time? Anyone have any suggestions?

• Joanne lueke
    Joanne lueke

My best guess is it is in the line. We started getting some small pieces when we ran bath water, just a few at first. Then some in the toilet. My husband went out to the store and while driving through our neighborhood saw crews digging at the corner. Within a few days we no longer had any sediment coming through and none since. Hopefully you are not on your own well water, and the city will fix it so you don't have to pay for it. Best wishes!

• Archie
      Archie

I was going to suggest the lines had been worked on and perhaps the homeowner missed the warning.

I'd run all the faucets in the house and see if it will clear up. Also call the water company and ask if others have the same problem.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

When not using machine clean it with windex or a cup of bleach and run a full empty wash

• Annie
    Annie

Kal gave you some really good insights. When the tub is empty is this loose grit or stains on the tub? Is it coming out of any other water sources? I think you need a plumber to flush out the line.

• Claudine
    Claudine

It could be your hot water tank dip tube is disintegrated or in the process. Have you noticed a decrease in the water temperature lately?

• Sandy
    Sandy

Do you have screens on your water lines?

• Judy
    Judy

Looks like mold to me. Is it floating around or stuck on the bottom? Vinegar not bleach kills

it. Just run a hot water cycle

through and scrub it out. Keep the lid open if you don’t have little kids to allow it to

dry.

• Judy
      Judy

Vinegar will help the lines but that’s onviously a problem. That’s big grit in the water. Maybe the screen from your pump has broken if there is one. Do you have a house water system? Maybe the filter needs to be changed.

• Sarah Barganier
    Sarah Barganier

I agree with Judy, try a cycle of wash with just vinegar in the water and see if it clears up. I use vinegar in the softener dispenser whenever I wash a load of bath towels, it makes them soft and absorbent and helps keep hard water build up in the washer from forming.

• Cor32419347
    Cor32419347

Again, vinegar is your best bet but Tide has a produc

• Cor32419347
    Cor32419347

Vinegar is the cheapest solution by far but Tide sells a product that cleans your washer very well. It comes 3 packets to a box. Follow the instructions and your washer will look and smell wonderful!