1 Post = 9 Rustic Elegant Shelves

$10

Sometimes hanging a collection is a challenge. It's difficult to buy the perfect item to solve the problem. So I figured out how to use a 6" by 6" post to display my North Carolina pottery collection.
Make sure the wood is cured. This piece I salvaged on a junkin' trip had been out in the back yard for ages. Then we put it in the sun for another week to completely dry out.
Here is how my hubby solved the problem of getting the shelf to hand close to the wall. Hanging the shelves was the same as hanging a grouping of pictures. I did have to compensate for the height of each bowl and container so my grouping is not completely perfect - lots of compromise. To keep the bowls from tipping forward or falling off, I used one tiny nail with a head. For the containers with lids I used a little glue dot like the kind you can buy a Michaels.
Before hanging, I coated the back of each piece with some shellac to prevent any bleeding through of stains. But you'll see I missed one piece at the top left. Easy to fix by adding a couple of coats of shellac and touching up the wall. Live and learn right? I love this effect. It is out of the way and we enjoy it daily.

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
My Patch of Blue Sky

• Diena Cameron

My Patch of Blue Sky, Your look is stunning !! You said "your grouping was not complete- you would have to compensate",........ i beg to differ with you .) I think it's TOTALLY complete just the way it is. Like I said, it's stunning and i love your pottery, may I ask where you buy it ? Thanks and thanks for sharing your project. P.S. love the mix of that turquoise-blue mixed with the pottery !
  • Susan gibbs

I am a clay artist. My work runs from very tiny to extremely large (5 ‘ )...from organic to outrageous in style. Though some of my work resembles vessels, I generally describe my work as sculptural. I am constantly looking for interesting ways to display my work. I have a range of work (based on size) that I would love to display in a similar manner to your display. The only major concern I have is the weight of the pieces. Generally, clay work is heavy. The hanger on the backs of the blocks does not appear very substantial. How is it working for you? Have you had any problems or concerns concerning weight of your pieces? The icon that represent me beside this note is an example of the pieces I want to display in an exhibit. It is approximately w 9”x h6” and about a pound in weight. What do you think. I LOVE YOUR WHOLE DISPLAY...POTTERY AND WOODEN BLOCKS.

Thank you, Susan Gibbs

• My Patch of Blue Sky

Hi Susan, we used wall anchors to secure the blocks. They can hold a lot of weight. A pound is just fine. Love your pottery.

• Em

Since they are so close I know they can't be on studs. My question is what did you use to mount them into the wall, not on the wall. They seem heavy enough that you would need to attach them with some type of anchor.