1 Post = 9 Rustic Elegant Shelves

$10

Sometimes hanging a collection is a challenge. It's difficult to buy the perfect item to solve the problem. So I figured out how to use a 6" by 6" post to display my North Carolina pottery collection.
1 post 9 rustic elegant shelves, diy, home decor, how to, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas, woodworking projects
Make sure the wood is cured. This piece I salvaged on a junkin' trip had been out in the back yard for ages. Then we put it in the sun for another week to completely dry out.
Here is how my hubby solved the problem of getting the shelf to hand close to the wall. Hanging the shelves was the same as hanging a grouping of pictures. I did have to compensate for the height of each bowl and container so my grouping is not completely perfect - lots of compromise. To keep the bowls from tipping forward or falling off, I used one tiny nail with a head. For the containers with lids I used a little glue dot like the kind you can buy a Michaels.
Before hanging, I coated the back of each piece with some shellac to prevent any bleeding through of stains. But you'll see I missed one piece at the top left. Easy to fix by adding a couple of coats of shellac and touching up the wall. Live and learn right? I love this effect. It is out of the way and we enjoy it daily.
My Patch of Blue Sky

• AKP

What is the name of the metal hardware for hanging on the wall? Thinking about trying to find something that tiny in our big box hardware store gives me the shivers!

• Debbie

Tabs off a can likely wouldn't be quite strong enough to hold a piece of that size and weight. The tabs tend to be soft since they are made of aluminum and would bend easily under the weight of the wood and the object displayed on it.

• Imaboomertoo

How deep are the shelves? I'm guessing about 3 inches? Very clever idea! You could also just attach them to the wall with out adding anything to the "shelves" and it could be a piece of modern art!

• Diena Cameron

My Patch of Blue Sky, Your look is stunning !! You said "your grouping was not complete- you would have to compensate",........ i beg to differ with you .) I think it's TOTALLY complete just the way it is. Like I said, it's stunning and i love your pottery, may I ask where you buy it ? Thanks and thanks for sharing your project. P.S. love the mix of that turquoise-blue mixed with the pottery !

• Wanda Extrom

Very nice, looks great. FYI - Michael's has some unpainted wood blocks that you could use after staining or painting them. In case you can't find a wood post.

• Eve10095919

Genius idea! Looks amazing. In fact, I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit! I'm totally stealing this idea. :)