Air Plants: The Nearly Indestructible House Plant

So, you say you've got a black thumb? Try AIr Plants! Air plants can be a fun and unusual addition to your indoor garden. Caring for them is easy!
What makes Air Plants so unusual? They do not need soil to grow. They absorb water and nutrients through their leaves. The roots on the plant are used as anchors only. They can survive for long periods of drought. Plus…they look cool! It’s an instant conversation starer!
Watering
Watering is one of the most important aspects of succeeding with Tillandsias and the most misunderstood. Most people think Air Plants do not need a lot of water, I mean heck, they don’t need soil to survive. They can survive long periods of drought but the lack of water puts them in a dormant state. Proper watering is necessary for air plants!
Light
Air plants like bright indirect light. For the indoors place in front of window, no further than 10 feet away.In the outdoors you can put Tillandsias under a tree, carport, or covered patio. Think of how they grow in nature; under the canopy of trees. They can handle some partial sunlight, but avoid direct sunlight.
Found out more on how to care for Air Plants at The Prudent Garden!

The Prudent Garden

• Deanna Mills

Hi, I'm like Peggy, I grow other plants but I do not have very good luck with the air plants. My husband had one growing at his office at work and it was beautiful. He bought me 'starts' from work and they would die, every one of them.... I don't know what I did to them, but it was not good. Is it the water, soil, amount of sunlight??? Thanks

• Terry

I have great luck with air plants. Mine are just sitting in small glass jars or driftwood and I take them out about every other week and soak them in a large bowl of water for about two hours, putting the tops down in the water since the bottom root is really just a thing to keep it tied to a tree.

• Doris Livezey

I have tried them twice and they have died after about 6 months. I can grow almost anything, including orchids, so it is disappointing that i can't handle this simple plant.

• C Crow

Thank you. Always enjoy and learn from your posts!