Asked on Sep 4, 2018

Using pallets to build shed, what is used to keep snow out?

Phyllis ElliottBrenda Hunsaker TaylorLifestyles Homes
+7

What do i use to keep weather out?

• Landsharkinnc
    Landsharkinnc

people usually take apart and put the boards horizontally on the studs, with no spaces. In this application I'd probably use sheet tin like is used for roofing. More flexible than sheet goods; do you intent to go to the roof with the palets? Roofing tar paper might be an option... but I think that ribbed sheet steel would be more permanent

• Karen Brunck
    Karen Brunck

Hi Cas, I'm kinda freaking out and need to say, I don't think this structure will hold up to a snow load, and could be quite dangerous. Please consider upgrading the framework with 2x6 lumber and lag screws. Attach your roof joists no further than 14 inches apart, or 16 inches on center. You'd be amazed at how much damage a few inches of snow can do. That being said, you can use more pallet wood horizontally/ vertical across the existing pallets as a siding material. Metal roofing panels can also be used. Depending on what you are using it for, you can even use some tarps to cover the walls. Safety First!

• Tonica
    Tonica

Thank you. I will try suggestions. Appreciate it

• Linda Keser
    Linda Keser

If you get snow, I would make a slanted roof rather than flat horizontal.

• Linda Rexrode
    Linda Rexrode

How about thin plywood, heavy duty plastic held with heavy dry staples, roofing tar paper, or plastic sheets? The kind you use to keep rain off a small stoop! We used it years ago to keep rain away from our basement door! Hubby attached it underneath our deck. It was clear with channels for the rain to run off away from the door! Please forgive me! I can’t remember what it was called.😟. Only thing I can think of is plexiglass! Pretty sure it is not called that! Anyways, I loved the fact that you used pallets! Really do like how it’s looks! Great job!!!🙂

• Darlene Williman
    Darlene Williman

I agree with the others. Your shed needs to be shored up, it is already leaning some and snow will weight it down and make it lean more. And you do need some sturdier framing around the top to support the roof and any snow it accumulates. As for what to cover the roof with it depends on your budget. A tarp will work for awhile in an area that doesn't get a lot of snow but again you'll need to beef up your rafters and structure support. They also sell the plastic roofing sheets that look like metal roofing. I don't know as it is cheaper but it is lighter in weight and will let some light into the shed. Tarps would probably work for the sides if you run batten down the boards and nail or screw them in over the tarps. I would be concerned that the tarps would tear if just nailed or stapled on. Cold brittle tarps tear pretty easily. Good luck.

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

All the above a great answers.

Palette wood is going to need a lot of work to be a long-term exterior siding solution. It’s rough surface is tough to prime & paint. Spar marine varnish is another option w/ the same labor.

Think about improving the drainage of the ground around the shed. Pooling & splashing water will accelerate the rotting of the wood and encourage bugs.

• Brenda Hunsaker Taylor
    Brenda Hunsaker Taylor

I remember tar paper from my childhood. Don't know anything more about it.

• Phyllis Elliott
    Phyllis Elliott

Oh my.......most people take the pallets apart and use the wood for the finishing touch..........I think someone needs to help you figure out how to repair or ad to , or start over with this shed. I agree that it might not hold snow . Ask someone at your church, or any church to help out.....sometimes Goodwill and places like that might know who can lend a hand that knows what they are doing .