BEEutiful Stained Shaded Dresser Makeover

$40
Advanced

I received a phone call from my son saying “mom, there is a dresser on the side of the road a few streets from your house”, lol! Everyone knows I will take just about anything and redo it, so off I went to look at it. It was a solid wood dresser and needed a good sanding and the top replaced. I loaded it up and took it home. I had a client that was looking for a dresser with a design on it, she had bought
beeutiful stained shaded dresser makeover
This is what it looked like when I picked it up. The top was warped and I removed that. I was able to buy a solid 3/4 inch piece of wood from Home Depot, I just had to cut the length. All the drawer guides were great. I did need to replace the hardware as I didn’t want the dated handles, plus they would distract from the design on front.
Here it is all sanded and the design started. I put legs on the bee to begin with but later removed them as I just did not like how they looked. I draw my design on with pencil and use stain to create the image.
My client wanted a peach paint and then a dark wax over it. She had seen another project I had done like this and loved it.
I use chalk paint and make my own as It gives me such a large selection of color. I use flat paint, the cheapest paint I can find, make sure there is no primer in it. I mix with plaster o paris and water in an old blender. To get this look I let the paint dry for 24 hours then seal with clear wax. I then use a cheap paint brush to put the dark wax on. If it is too dark in some places or you don’t like it, use a Mr clean sponge to wipe it off, it works great.
Top
I use various brushes and my fingers wrapped in soft cloth and dipped in stain to create the different strokes and such. I chose slim golden handles and love how they flow with the piece.
All finished! my client just loves it, it was beyond her expectation. I love how the colors, wax, stain and hardware compliment each other. It was a fun makeover. You can see more of my projects here on Hometalk or look me up on facebook Memaw‘s House www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Jennifer Prather

Did you use a paint stripper to get rid of the old varnish or just sand it off?

• Ddh13197513

where can you get the bee design? I know you said your client purchased the bee but hoping you know where?? I absolutely love the design. Can the bee be done in living colors? Have you ever done one before? I'd like to do something similar but in brighter colors. You did a lovely job. Thank you.

• Cindy Murphy Carpenter

I love this, it’s absolutely stunning!! I also redo furniture but I wish I could draw! Lol just beautiful

• Have yyiu done any desks and if so can you show me what u did?