DIY Cedar-Lined Closet

$125

A cedar lined closet is one of life's little luxuries that you can't fully appreciate until you've got one! I recently used cedar planking to line the closet in my son's nursery, and the end result is absolutely stunning - and smells amazing to boot! If you love this project, you can find more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations.
Originally, the closet was mostly functional but not ideal for a nursery. It had wire shelving in it, no hanging space, and wasn't really anything special to look at!
I started by removing all of the shelving and marking the studs on each wall in my closet. I used a level to draw a line all the way down the wall to help me know where to nail in.
Once my studs were marked, I began cutting the cedar planks down to fit the wall (using my miter saw), and then nailing the boards into place with a nail gun - be sure to nail directly into the studs! Repeat the process on each of the walls of the closet. I also added cedar cove molding in each of the corners of the walls for a finished look - if you choose to skip that step, you'll want to be extra careful to be sure that your boards meet up neatly for a clean look.
Once the closet was fully lined, I added a hanging rod and a dresser in the bottom half of the dresser and called it complete! The dresser looks absolutely beautiful, and it smells wonderful every time I open the door. If you want to see more details on this project, including all of the sources for the products and a video detailing the installation process, be sure to check out the full blog post.

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Love & Renovations

• Carol Cole
    Carol Cole

does you clothes smell like cedar?

• Nancy Fisher
      Nancy Fisher

Cedar is a very old traditional material to use for storing clothing. You do need to test to be sure no one in the family is alergic to it, however. You can buy natural Cedar oil to test with. Save it to use to polish the wood with if you find you can use it. The cedar odor from the wood does not cling to clothes like mothball odor does. If, however, you get the oil on your clothes it will be carried on them and may stain them as well. Thanks for the retro reminder!

• Fanny
    Fanny

When I think of cedar, I think of a closed off area or a chest to protect items from moths. Is it OK to be smelling cedar all the time? Especially, young lungs?

• Gail
      Gail

I've had a walk in cedar closet for 35 years. Nothing smells like cedar. not even in the beginning. It has faded and I should sand it down to renew the smell but that would require me emptying it out! It is for my off season clothes and was also built with double layers of 1" plywood 2x6 lumber and tongue and groove cedar so it is a form of a storm closet in the center of the house. Now as for being moth proof. Don't count on that. i hung a wool coat in it one year right against the cedar wall. Next winter it had moth holes.

As for it being harmful to anyone, unless you have a cedar allergy you need to find something else to worry about. I actually have a cedar allergy and it gives me no trouble. My kids sat in there many times during tornado warnings. There are things in this world like tornados, hurricanes, forest fires, earthquakes, covid.....need I go on.....Oh and presidential elections!!!!!

• Itsmemic
    Itsmemic

I have multiple dogs and fell so in love with the cedar planks I put in my closet, I ended up doing my entire cottage !! Not only does the house smell devine? If there's a smudge on the wall? I just lightly sand and voila!! Renewed smell !

• Willette Buckelew Bagwell
    Willette Buckelew Bagwell

I love this idea. This is a good project for each closet except the pantry for me. Thank you for sharing.

• Cedar isn't toxic to insects that I know of - it is just something that smells very strongly to them and not in a good way. I've seen cedar planks sold for using on a grill to use when cooking fish fillets - not that I've grilled any salmon on a cedar plank lately. I'd rather smell cedar than mothballs - those are toxic to insects and not good for people to breathe in the fumes of "every day".