Ana Bacallao
Ana Bacallao
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Miami, FL

Welcome Sign With Old Door

$10

Last year we installed a new hurricane-rated impact front door. Our old door was solid mahogany and I hated to part with it. We offered it to a couple of people but no one wanted it. I thought of making a table but the door had a glass and brass insert at the top which would not have worked. I convinced my husband to cut the door a few inches below the glass and save it for me. I finally got around to doing something with it.
welcome sign with old door
I first cleaned the wood with soapy water and dried it. I then proceeded to scoff it up a little with sand paper since it had a thick coat of varnish.
welcome sign with old door
The original after cleaning.
First coat
First coat
I applied a couple of coats of pale sage green chalk paint after taping off around glass.

welcome sign with old door
I didn’t want the paint to look so even and I also wanoted it a little rougher so I applied some white grainy chalk paint, wiping away as I went.
welcome sign with old door
I waxed it using both a dark wax and a natural until I was satisfied with the look.
Letters painted
Letters painted
In the meantime I had bought letters to spell welcome which I spray painted shiny white.
welcome sign with old door
Trusty glue gun in hand I applied the letters around the glass. We underestimated how heavy this piece is and are still trying to figure out where we are going to hang it or prop it against something. I like the idea of using eye hooks and and chains to hang it.

1 comment
  • Wendy

This is a brilliant idea, I'm feeling inspired!