Ho do i make a natural mosquito repellant?

+6

need a repellant for around porch?

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 04, 2018

Hi Mar: Here's what I do: Mosquito yard spray: 1 big bottle of cheap blue mouthwash - 3 cups epsom salt - 3 12oz bottles of cheap stale beer. Mix until salt is dissolved. Put in spray bottle and spray everything. Won't harm plants or flowers. It says that mosquitoes will be gone for 80 days - if it doesn't rain, I guess. Spray your sitting areas too. Has a nice mint smell. Whomever passed this along to me got it from a Paul Harvey show. Yeah, you young 'ens don't remember him:(

I have mint plants in my yard. Mint seems to repel mosquitoes. You can tell a mint plant from a regular plant by their stems. They are squarish where other plant stems are round. I have Lemon Mint and Spearmint plants. They really spread and are quite invasive, so either put them in a pot or in an area that they can't spread. I have mine growing as a hedge around my sitting area, but there is a lot of upkeep to that and keeping the volunteers in check. Good luck!

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Sep 06, 2018

Mint is really easy to grow and spreads fast! If you can, plant it in containers. You're still a baby, I'm 75! Yikes!!! When did THAT happen???? You're right, that was Paul Harvey. Check out this site, but what you click on isn't the story you get:( I clicked on Abbot & Costello and got something about boxing. Didn't listen to it all, so it may be about them:) But anyway, they are always neat! :)

Oh, TROTS isn't what I thought it was:) It's for The Rest of the Story. Thank goodness:)

https://archive.org/details/PaulHarveyTROTS

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 04, 2018

Plants are good as mentioned above. You can spray listerine in the area to mosquitoes control. My dad says it’s the only thing that works for him.

• Craft Invaders Craft Invaders on Sep 05, 2018

Mosquitos are said to hate the aroma of the following herbs so you could try growing them as plants or making up your own essential oil mix and spritzing it around your porch - Citronella, Lavender, Catnip, Lemon Balm, Basil, Peppermint, Garlic, Rosemary, Eucalyptus and Marigold :)

• This is the most effective all-natural mosquito DIY that we use. Hope it helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/mosquito/