How do you clean up old metal doors that are starting to rust?

+4

My in door outdoor doors are rusting and second and third coat of paint are peeling. I’m not ready to replace all the doors.

q how do you clean up old metal doors that are starting to rust
  • Karen Brunck Karen Brunck on Sep 05, 2018

Hi Jill. Give your doors a sanding to remove the pitting and loose paint. Wipe them clean, then use a rust inhibiting primer. Paint with your favorite color when dry.

• Angela Black Angela Black on Sep 05, 2018

Or buy some coke and paint on and it takes rust off

• Janice Janice on Sep 06, 2018

Sand the doors down to the bare metal and paint with rustoleum type paint which resists rust in the future.

• Mona Blake Mona Blake on Sep 06, 2018

Vinegar removes rust.

• Debi Debi on Sep 06, 2018

I always stand true , with coke .. It always cleaned my bike rust,dad woud clean hub caps

• Jan Marie Jan Marie on Sep 26, 2018

Sand down to bare metal and then prime with a good rust preventing primer. Then finish up with your top coat.

• Debra Howe Debra Howe on Oct 27, 2018

Clean with 0000 steel wool (or a 3M green scrubbie, which is washable) and WD40. Wipe with clean dry cloth. Wipe mothly with WD40 and dry cloth. It will remove rust, smooth the finish, and usually keep it clear for up to a year.