Best cleaning product-solution for outside windows?

+4
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Sep 06, 2018

Hi Deanna,

I use a 50/50 vinegar and water mix with a few drops of Dawn for all of my windows, inside & out. Another "secret" to sparkling windows is to use newspapers to wipe it clean although I tend to use a microfiber cloth. The choice is yours. Just make sure whatever you use is lint free. Wishing you the best. -Linda

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 06, 2018

Deanna I have used this recipe for homemade outside window cleaner and love the results.

• 1/2 bottle of Jet Dry rinse aid (or approximately 3 1/2 ounces)
    • 4 Tablespoons rubbing alcohol
    • 1/4 cup ammonia
    • 1/4 cup dishwashing detergent

2 gallons of hot water

I just mix everything in a bucket and use a long handled brush. Scrub the windows and rinse it off with a hose. The Jet Dry keeps streaking down so their is no need for a squeegee.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 06, 2018

Hi Deanna: This works for me: Put 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a spray bottle and fill the rest up with water. Shake well. Use the solution to wash your windows with terry type bath towels that you haven't washed with fabric softener, or if you have old newspapers, they’ll help you achieve streak-free results. The fabric softener leaves a slight film. I'm not a fan of the newspaper as the ink isn't what it used to be and I think leaves marks. If the windows are particularly gunky, try using one of those magic erasers from the dollar store, they work just as well as the expensive ones. Good luck

• 1CraftyMom! 1CraftyMom! on Sep 11, 2018

Old fashioned but highly effective is Bon Ami cleanser (comes in a container like a cardboard tube with shaker top). There's a chick and "Won't scratch, ever" on the label. Dampen a sponge with water and sprinkle some Bon Ami onto it. Clean off your dirty window being sure to catch those corners! That's why a rectangular sponge works well. Your window will look like it has a powdery coating but don't worry, this is as it should look. Work your way around house cleaning desired windows. When you get back to your starting point, take a sheet of newspaper, yep, newspaper with the print and all, and crumple it into a loose ball/wad and proceed to wipe off the now dried Bon Ami. Voila!!! Clean streak free windows, easy peasy.