Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
  • Hot Springs National Park, AR

How To Repair A Recliner Cushion (AKA When Good Dogs Do Bad Things)

$15
Advanced

Our beloved pup, Oliver Sprout, decided that our favorite recliner would be a good spot to go on a scavenger hunt. After weeks of digging, a little at a time, we were left with holes and tears in the seat cushion. Not wanting to toss the comfy seating, we opted for a simple repair job. (More details photos on our post as they would not all fit here.)

how to repair a recliner cushion aka when good dogs do bad things

This was the mess he made. Ironically, this was the only piece of furniture he ever touched. These seats are not removable but that didn't stop us!

We began by removing the seat cushion from the recliner. Because the cushion was actually attached to the chair, we had to lift the edges and cut the fabric to remove it. Be sure to cut as close to the seam as possible so that the cut lines are hidden when the cushion is placed back onto the chair. Once the cushion is removed, slide off the fabric that was covering it, leaving you with just the foam and matting of the cushion.

After years of use, the holes in the cushion weren't our only concern. We wanted to add a little more padding as well. For this we used a 1" sheet of foam. Simply set the foam cushion on top of the foam sheet and outline it with a sharpie.

Cut the foam along your sharpie line to create your new cushion topper.

Because we wanted to fill the holes, we wanted to make the most of the 1" foam we bought. Using our scissors we cut away the sections of the foam that were damaged, leaving a 1" deep pocket.

We then cut pieces of the 1" foam to fit inside the pockets we had cut. MORE DETAILS/PHOTOS HERE

Once the foam is in place, shape the edged of the new cushion top by cutting at an angle with scissors along corners and edges. This creates a rounded top that will look more natural under your new cover.

For the cover, we wrapped our 2 yards of fabric around the cushion from front to back. We then cut the fabric to frame the cushion by about an inch.

Now it was time to measure and cut the fabric for the sides. We measured the width (21") and the length (22") of the cushion for this. *ignore the 64" written in the middle! Then we measured the height of the cushion (4.5").

We then added 2" to each of those measurements (for stitching space) and cut our 4 sides out of the fabric.

Using the sewing machine, stitched the cushion cover together. We recommend testing the fit on the cushion after each line of stitching to ensure a good fit. We turned the cover and ironed the edges for nice creases. (Many more photos on site links provided.)

With one side open, we slipped the cover on and opted for hand stitching to close it.

MORE DETAILS/PHOTOS HERE

Because we wanted a little extra pop of color, we chose to use a craft cover button kit to redo the buttons on the recliner to match the new cushion.

Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• J-c26271151

How do you fix a couch or chair when your cat uses it for a scratching post

• Carey

The other option is to put nail covers on your cat's claws. I would NOT recommend either if your cat goes outside as he would not be able to defend himself! I have a cat that scratches my chair if I don't let him out as soon as he wants. I tried keeping him inside, that was a complete dud! I have two little dogs & he figured out that if he wanted to go out, he could run underneath them & I couldn't stop him! I will try the peppermint oil! That would be a very nice solution, esp. since I like that fragrance! : ) So far, he has not ruined my chair. One thing that I have found that does work, is to cover the chosen scratch areas with clear packing tape. They don't like scratching that!

• Diana Jusino Downes

How can I repair an ottoman with the top torn, same for arm rests on wing chairs?