Asked on Sep 6, 2018

Cut down too tall septic cover risers?

VimarhonorMainiebetsCarla M. Carew
+15

Cut down the tops of the septic risers?

When we upgraded the septic 18 years ago husband and helpers said they would "fix them later". We apparently haven't reached later yet.

They are dangerous, I have tripped over them and my husband tipped over one last year and broke some ribs, but yet.....

Please tell me how!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I have read that septic risers can not be cut down otherwise the lid won’t fit properly. Maybe you can somehow decorate around it so that it’s no longer a walking area, but a decorative area.

• Craft Invaders
    Craft Invaders

You could box it in? As long as the box has a top that is removable it's usually fine to cover them - you could then use it as a bench or similar?

• Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

Sarah and Lost Mom are right. Cover it with a wooden cover, with slats if you need to, and set some planters on it. Or find an older out door chair that is wider than normal. Please don't leave it go another 18 MINUTES or you might fall and break something worse...like someone's heart.

• Ray Shingleton Jr.
    Ray Shingleton Jr.

That's what I did with mine I covered it with T&G treated 2x6's made a nice box with a lift off lid that doubled as a seat in my yard, win win.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi there,

How about using them to display Sculpture, Statues, Planters etc and MAKE THEM A FEATURE NOT AN EYESORE!

• Old grouchy granny
    Old grouchy granny

Well, there's a better photo here of the item I've never seen before.

I like the idea of making it a feature--covered with a seat maybe.

What i don't understand is why, if husband knew how to fix this 18 years ago, he doesn't know now. Unless there's a health issue. Knowing men, I bet he and his helpers measured wrong and hoped you wouldn't notice! LOL

Were it mine, I'd want to cover the industrial strength fence anyway, so probably would plant shrubbery that grows at least as high as the fence. Place the plants right and the foliage will spread out as it grows and hide the offensive object. I have "Wintergreen" boxwood in front of my window wells. Coming along nicely.

I'm not a fan of stretches of gravel. It can get slippery. And weeds grow in it.

IMO Lawn would look better and be safer, unless you have trouble dealing with grass cutting.

Good luck with beautifying this part of your yard.

• Joan
      Joan

He knew, but like most men, it was easier to promise and not come through than to take care of it with more work at that time. Sigh....

• Carol DeJong
    Carol DeJong

Surrounded ours with retaining wall block and set an old tall water pump on top. Hung a plant from the pump spout. Added more pavers around the base. Nothing glued down so the cap is always accessible.

• Prelude
    Prelude

Well I learned something. I have a septic tank and never heard of a septic tank riser. All the tank covers I have ever seen are flush with the ground.

• Prelude
      Prelude

Linda and Glo10206755 very interesting. I haven't seen the risers in our area at all, but everything you both said makes sense. Ours wasn't placed in a highly visible area. In fact the first time we planned to have it pumped, we couldn't locate it as it got covered with leaves, etc. I panicked. Had to have our builder come over and show me where they put it. Now I am thinking we should install a riser.

• Bbunny42
    Bbunny42

I have been told that these parts of the aerobic septic system need to be taller than the ground to prevent ground water from running into the septic tank. I like all the above ideas. I have a short metal fence in front of part of my above-ground risers/covers to kinda block the view from the street. However, this entire subdivision has septic systems so we're all in the same boat and don't worry about it although I agree it's not very attractive, but it's a lot more dependable than a system with lateral lines.

• Melanie C
    Melanie C

I would decorate around it, don’t lower them or you may have another problem. Ours were almost level with the ground that when we had heavy rains it would flood the septic and alarms would go off. We had to get ours raised up. So no, I wouldn’t lower them.

• Kris
    Kris

I would build a box also around it. It looks pretty tall so it would probably look nice with a planter or a statue like mentioned. Making it into a seat would be a idea also but from the picture it wouldn’t be in a place where it would be used. Be sure to use treated lumber so it holds up in the weather unless you plan to remove it in the winter.

• Debra S
    Debra S

NO, don't mess with it. Disguise it, yes. Ours is concrete and has the lid for them to go in and pump periodically. *sigh* And sometimes, I can smell the stuff.... I put a flower garden all around it.

• Carla M. Carew
    Carla M. Carew

Pallet wood vertically on the side would look like a barrel, then just put an assortment of pots on top with your favorite plants.

• Mainiebets
    Mainiebets

How about using one of those faux rock covers and planting pretty flowers all around the "rock"? Here's a link to one I found that might be large enough but I'm sure you'll find others if you shop around the internet. Good luck!

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello Jeanne,

How about an artificial rock to cover it? They come in different sizes are are hollow to cover utilities.

My cap is flush with the ground.

I would hesitate doing a diy trimming. Perhaps next time you pump they might be able to help with the trimming?

I hope you figure out a solution.