Make a Man-Eating Plant for Halloween!

$50

The show, Little Shop of Horrors always makes me think of Halloween, so I decided to create my own “man-eating plant” to greet trick or treaters this year! You can see more of my crafts and creations here.

I began with a small white artificial pumpkin. I didn’t have to use white, but I though it would make it easier to paint. 

My little pumpkins were solid styrofoam. The larger ones were hollow, but all of them were cut nearly in half like above. The insides of both of them got a coat of red acrylic paint.

My pumpkins, both large and small got a outside paint treatment that kind of make them look like little watermelons. 

While trying to paint the inside of my larger pumpkins it helped to prop them open with a stick or in this case, a golf tee.  

I cut white golf tees to the desired size for the teeth in my plants. 

I used an exacto knife to cut a tiny hole for each tooth. I put a tiny bit of hot glue in each hole and then stuck one of my golf tee teeth into each hole.  

For my largest pumpkin I used this metal piece I found near the rebar at the Home Depot. I thought I would just use a piece of rebar, but I felt the large base on this would support my largest plant better. I wrapped the piece in green duct tape. 

I used a large urn for the base. I filled the bottom of the urn with Loctite Tite Foam and styrofoam. I set my metal piece down beneath the styrofoam, anchored in the insulating foam.  

Smaller pumpkins were put on dowels for stems. A little bit of hot glue secured the dowels into the pumpkins and then I painted the dowels.  

It was time to start planting my plant!  

Don’t get too close or you might get bit!  

I would love to have you stop by my blog,   Celebrate & Decorate for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Chloe Crabtree

• Jaweb

Absolutely LOVE your “Little Dhop of Horrors Halloween” plant!!!!! I am a great fan of beautify by deviating from the normal and yours fits it perfectly!!! What an amazing and talented idea for the holiday!!! Wonderful efforts!!!

jaweb 🎃🍁🍂🥀

• Chloe Crabtree

Thank you so much! I will be doing a LIVE video tutorial of this project on Hometalk's Facebook page on September 28th if you want to join in and watch!

• Lucy Marie Bernier

Great work , to cute, love it ! Did you scoop out some of the styrofoam ?

To cool, 💲🌲 has a boat load of pumpkins ! Gonna have some fun !

Thanks ! 👍👍👍👍

• Chloe Crabtree

The larger craft pumpkins are hollow, and the small solid ones I just cut and painted the inside red. Have fun!

• Cathy Clark-Fitzpatrick

Very cool. And what a great idea to use golf tees as teeth.