Asked on Sep 7, 2018

How to separate a tin cocktail shaker from glass?

Bar29910934Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CADfm
+5

I forgot to insert my glass into the tin cocktail shaker at an angle, and now I can’t get them separated. I have a (don’t judge me) lemon drop martini sitting in my connected shaker for over 24 hours. The glass shaker is an “antique” that my parents gave me and is from the 60’s so I want to protect it. I know this is not a normal topic but thanks for any suggestions.

• Janice
    Janice

Have you tried running very hot water over the metal rim, while simultaneously pulling outward on the glass? My thought is to expand the metal with heat, while keeping the glass cool or cold...as well as a bit of olive oil or vegetable oil added to your now rather old lemon drop martini :( AFTER you get them apart.....fix yourself a double one!

• Sharon Tamburello
    Sharon Tamburello

You may try drizzling some vegetable oil down the sides or put the metal shaker is a bowl of ice and slowly jiggle the glass

• Seth
    Seth

No sense wasting a perfectly good martini! You could run them under warm water or wrap a hot, wet towel around them to get them to expand. Give it a few minutes and then gently twist them apart.

• Dfm
    Dfm

have you tried putting the metal part in boiling water? metal should expand just a hair or 2 then give a kiss of food grade oil. liquid stuff

• All you need to do is twist the glass gently.

• Bar29910934
    Bar29910934

Thanks all, it worked. I ended up putting my shakers in the refrigerator to cool, then I filled up my sink with hot water and put the tin shaker in the hot water. Surprisingly, the glass remained cool. I poured oil on the connection and used a bottle opener to slightly separate the tin from glass and it worked. Couldn’t have done it without you all. Thanks so much, now on to my Lemon Drop but this martini will be stirred.