Old Hutch Bottom Makeover

I picked up this sad looking piece from a gentleman who had this sitting in his basement for a very long time. It used to be an old hutch but it's top had been removed along with it's table top. It was filthy.. the dirt and dust on it must've been an inch thick. However, I knew it had some great potential!
old hutch bottom makeover, painted furniture
Not so pretty.
I used TSP to clean up all that dirt and dust.. and I'm sure I don't want to know what else ;)
Once it was cleaned I painted the inside using Zinsser's Primer. I then painted the outside using The Hayloft's Milk Paint in Blue Grass and then glazed. To replace the top I bought a 2x6 10' pine board. I cut it into 3 parts and then screwed each one down. -Link to purchase The Hayloft's Milk Paint-----> https://www.etsy.com/listing/186986803/the-haylofts-milk-paint-milk-paint?
Once I had the boards in place I stained them using my homemade stain. (Another post for another day) This stain gives the wood an aged look. Which fit perfectly for this piece!
All of the original hardware had been painted as well.. I didn't want them white.. I wanted to try to have them in their original state. So, I stripped them down (without chemicals!) {again, another post for another day!}
MUCH better! Such pretty details! And look at all that awesome crackle you can get with milk paint!! LOVE it!
Milk paint helps give you an authentic looking aged/worn look.
I used Howard's Feed-N-Wax for the wood top to help seal and protect then I used polycrylic for the rest.
I knew this old piece had potential and I think it turned out beautiful! It went from being tired, dirty and collecting dust in someone's basement to beautiful and functional. It has been given a second life and can now be enjoyed in any room of the house!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TheHayloftCCC

• Jo Anne Johns

Beautiful revitalization project !! Love it !

• Connie

I have found a way to strip the old paint from your hardware with no chemicals at all. Soak in full strength Tide Laundry detergent. Up to 3 days for items with a lot of paint. The paint will peal right off. Seems as thought you would get some rust but, you don't the only thing I have ever gotten any slight rust on is hinges.