Rusty, Crusty Chair Makeover

$18

My BFF gave me these two outdoor patio chairs and dresser when she moved ;(
The two chairs are rockers also...which I love! There was a lot of rust on the chairs. I first cleaned off the crusty rusty parts, especially around the feet. Rust had collected in seat and backs which have a open- weave- like pattern. This would be the first course of action: Remove the Rust, and to keep it from recurring! (Sometimes this is an easy task, sometimes not so easy, especially if the rust is on thick and crusty. )
To remove the rust, use a wire brush and scrape off what you can. You don't have to go crazy with this, just the crusty stuff.  You can go on to the next step if your surface is smooth.
Next get a can of Rustoleum Stop Rust- Rust Reformer.  A layer of this flat-black coating bonds with rusty metal and instantly transforms it into a non-rusting surface. No need to sand down to bare metal, simply spray directly onto rust. You can use indoors or outdoors.
I sprayed the whole rocker, let dry, and repeated once more. Now because the rust reformer is black, I need to spray the whole set with White. I truly believe that a color will pop more over the white, than black.

I then sprayed with the Seaside Satin color...oh I just love this color...and name! I wanted the bottom of the rockers to be a different color than the rest of the rocker..I liked it better than painting them all the same color. 
The hardest part, for me, was where the black met the Seaside on the sides. It took a lot 'love' to make it look as though the colors began and changed. Be sure to use Frog Tape or Painters Tape when you need to switch from one color to the next.
I then painted a seat in a pretty yellow to go with the chairs....so colorful and looks so great out by the pool. I love how now it is a special seating area...how cute!
Now friends and family have a wonderful seating area by the pool, to just sit and relax!
When you can purchase a can of spray paint for under $4, why not makeover those outdoor pieces to look gorgeous again!

• Rustoleum Stop Rust- Rust Reformer  (home improvement store)
  • Rustoleum 2x White Flat Spray Paint  (home improvement store)
  • Rustoleum 2x Seaside Satin Spray Paint  (home improvement store)

Linda kelley

They look great. Very retro and timeless. Super save. Love the table but you need some Mai Tai's on it not spray paint

• Linda kelley

Oh William, you are so right. Mai Tais and Pina Colada!!! Thank you!