Asked on Sep 9, 2018

Use old men’s shirts?

Jeannette BlissLja23984216Flipturn
+5

• Jen
    Jen

I have seen people make them into a pillow, teddy bear, apron.

Search memory pillow or grandpa's shirt.

• Thelma
    Thelma

Hi Jeannette; I use a braiding stripper and cut the material into strips - it's adjustable so you can make the strips in your desired width - then I braid them and make rugs out of them. When you buy the rug making kit from Herrschners, they'll send you a free booklet that shows you how to make rugs. I also bought a booklet from them that has instructions on making handbags, bowl shaped containers, etc. They have them on sale right now. I do not work for them and am not affiliated with them in any way, I just love their arts & crafts items and great prices!  Good Luck!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

While using disused shirts for craft projects instead of just throwing them away is a thrifty move, it is not recommended to use the portions that may be permanently stained from stains, such as perspiration (particularity underarms and collars). The fibres will eventually begin to emit odours. Be sure to cut these parts off and discard before reusing the rest of the fabric.

• Lja23984216
    Lja23984216

The apron idea is a great one. It is easy for the elderly or disabled to put on. Additionally, it isn't an age inappropriate "bib" when eating.

• Jeannette Bliss
    Jeannette Bliss

Thank you