How do I keep a succulent alive

+7

I have bought several succulents since last April, and I do t know what I’m doing wrong, but I can’t keep them alive. I mean come on, a succulent? I just can’t believe it

• By Brittany Goldwyn By Brittany Goldwyn on Sep 10, 2018

Brenda, the struggle can be real with plants   many people over water succulents or don't provide enough drainage, and a lot of times they are getting the light they need. What kind of pots are they in? If they don't have a drainage hole and saucer, make sure there is sufficient drainage built into the bottom of the container (like a layer of pebbles or perlite in the bottom). I wrote up a post a few years ago about this very topic, you can read it here!

• Jos33651969 Jos33651969 on Sep 10, 2018

Put one ice cube a week instead of watering it

• Are you over watering or under watering? I live in Zone 9 and mine all live in pots on the north side of the house and I literally do nothing to them other than toss water on them and they grow like weeds for me.

• Deb Deb on Sep 10, 2018

Over watering is the biggest problem. They need a lot of light, warmth. Soil needs to be light, and porous. Perlite, expanded shale, sand, help water pass through. They store water in the leaves and can freeze and turn to mush.

• Brenda Summerd Brenda Summerd on Sep 10, 2018

I think this has been my problem. I think I over watered them. Now I’ve gone to artificial succulents, I can’t harm them

• I don't have any answers, but I can't keep them alive either. Try fake ones. They look exactly the same and never die!! ;)

• Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Sep 10, 2018

When you think they need water don't.

When the soil is so dry it won't soak up water at all it just runs off that's when you water.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 11, 2018

This stuff is great for all plants.

https://www.qvc.com/Robertas-10-oz.-Spray-&-Flourish-Micronutrient.product.M26045.html?upsh=1&sc=M26045-CSWB

That said, you are probably over watering or the soil isn't rocky enough and it's not draining. If it's in a pot or planter, you need to give the water a way out. I added gravel to my soil and drilled holes in the bottom of the planter.

• Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Sep 11, 2018

I read something about tossing in an ice cube every 7-10 days. That’s all the water they need. So ignore them!