Asked on Sep 11, 2018

How can I better use my balcony?

Kelly Denoyer RussellKathy Gunter LawApril Gilchrest Tellini
+8

I have an 8' X 12' balcony that looks out into a huge and old oak tree making it very "treehouse-like" but I have too many plants to be able to enjoy the area. I need to go vertical, but I cannot attach anything to the ceiling above or the railing around. What should I do to enjoy the plants, keep them healthy and be able to enjoy relaxing on the balcony? I have a glass topped table and two folding chairs plus butterfly chairs from the 1950s that I haven't used since I put so many plants out there. Please help.

• Kathleen Carpenter
    Kathleen Carpenter

Put the plants vertically so you have room for a chair and table

• Some tiered plant stands, like this: https://www.hometalk.com/29763563/diy-ladder-plant-stand, would make better use of the space. You might also consider giving plants away to people who would enjoy them.

• Amanda
    Amanda

Hi Maureen. Can you build narrow shelving to go around the perimeter of the deck? That way you would have shelves to put them on, and would also give you privacy. Good Luck!

• Maura
    Maura

I would look on line under maximizing your balcony etc.... Seems to me I saw a post about this very thing and the finished product was amazing. They took a large piece of wooden screen or something and attached the legs to the balcony (computer tie wraps or wire would not be permanent like a frame ) rail so when you looked out that is what you saw, the top added privacy so they couldn't see the bldg. across maybe it added a cpl feet of height, plants attached. built a box for seating on one side and storage. Plants were vertical and hanging above somehow or on rails around sides. Good luck! Plant stands or old coat racks could be used to house plants. Use pallet wood...

• Lil
    Lil

or get rid of the plants?

• April Gilchrest Tellini
    April Gilchrest Tellini

Definitely use more vertical space and you’ll have more space on the ground. I noticed you have a lot of plants. One way in which I use for space (I live in an apartment which has a patio) is using a baker/potting rack. It will organize everything and help you use your space more effectively. With my rack, I have all my extra pots on the bottom of it and then all my pots I’m using, I put on the tops shelves and leave the “counter space” for actual work. What I have just learnt is that you have to look at inside/outside items for either spaces. What I thought was just for inside, could be used for so much more and like wise. Vertical planting is the practical way to go.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Add some hangers off your railing and hang them on the outside of the area.

• Kelly Denoyer Russell
    Kelly Denoyer Russell

Can you do those planters that hook over the railing? Not permanent and won’t damage.