Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

From Plumbing Parts to a Work of Art

$10

So I was helping my brother hang an outdoor solar light and we needed something to secure it to the wall and he comes back with this metal strapping. As I watched him cut and bend this stuff the wheels in my head started turning thinking of all the things I could create with this. Seeing as fall is fast approaching I was envisioning pumpkins. So I made a quick trip to Home Depot to get me some strapping, it just happens to be in the plumbing aisle. I didn't know what I was going to use for the stem until I spotted these copper elbows in all different sizes. They were perfect for the look I wanted to create. I couldn't wait to get started on this project.

First step is to gather your supplies. 1 box of metal strapping, 2 inches copper pipe elbow. 2 screws, 1 nut, and one top. The picture shows two different sizes. This is to make a smaller pumpkinwhich I have yet to do.

You are going to determine the size pumpkin you want and cut the strapping accordingly. I wanted a fairly large one so my measurement was 17 inches. I used 10 to make this pumpkin, you can use more if you want less space in between.

Next I decided to spray paint my pieces. I used Rustoleum in a Metallic Rust color. You can paint any color or opt to leave as is.

Spray front and back and let dry.

Next step is to take one of the screws in your hand and you are going to take a piece of your strapping and place on the screw.

Continue until all strapping is on the screw. Lay out on a flat surface and secure in place with the nut.

Now you are going to take the other screw in your hand and start to bend the strapping up and placing on the screw.

Continue adding strapping to screw alternating sides til all pieces are on. Then secure with the screw top. It should now start to take shape.

Here is what it should look like but you can bend and shape this til you get your desired look.

Taking a glue gun, crazy glue etc you are going to glue your copper elbow over the screw top. This becomes your stem.

Next I took a mason jar lid as I wanted to create a base for a candle to sit on. I used a piece of wallpaper to cover the lid then glued in place. I used some Loonies ( Canadian Dollar) to balance in the middle til glue set and dried.

Using Fall leaves, or other fall decor attach to the top near stem. I used wire. If you don't have any fall decor dollar stores are great places to purchase items.

Here it is with fall stem attached. You can choose to add ribbon or raffia if you like.

Add your candle. I opted for battery operated. Sit back and enjoy! I loved making this project. You can do a cluster of these pumpkins in different sizes and colors. Stack em up. Add fairy lights, the options are endless and it won't break the bank to create.

Love this!!!

• Flipturn

What did you use to cut the lengths of banding?

• Melanie

I just used wire cutters, or you can just bend and work back and forth and it will snap off.

• Flipturn

Ah, yes, wire cutters...I was suspecting that you used tin snips to get the straight cuts. Thank you.

• SharylP

I've been looking for the interesting strapping that you used, which has the "wavy" sides. Can't find it anywhere, and the link posted with your article goes to an Amazon site that simply shows the ordinary, straight-sided strapping. (Also checked Home Depot, and all they carry is the straight-sided stuff.). Where did you get yours?

• Melanie

I got mine at Home Depot, never seen straight sided stuff all the strapping they had was all wavy.

• Carol Cayouette

Home Hardware sells it in the plumbing section.

• Jackson

Hey. Could a small flowery plant (or vine) be put in the center instead of the candle, and hang from a tree branch?

• Katie

What was the approximate cost of the project??

• Melanie

The approximate cost of this project was just under $10.00. If you need to buy the fall stem decoration ,spray paint and candle then it will be around $20. I had all of that stuff. The strapping is 25ft so you can make quite a few depending on size.

• Kelly Laffin

You could go to a second hand shop and look for decor to attach, that may help the cost.

• Marilou b.

Definitely will try this, however, can I use a PVC elbow for stem and spray paint it?

• Nia Donovan

What did you use to cut the strapping?

• Barbara

How does the pumpkin stand up- Mine just wants to fall over - I did cut the strapping 2 inches longer ( 19") do you think that could make the difference I need to finish for a gift but don't know what I can do to make it sit balanced on the table- did you have to form the strapping at all to make it sit flat??

• Melanie

Yes Barbara, you have to work the strapping, bending it etc. You cannot screw this up just work it going from side to side until you get it to sit the way you want it.

• 1rd10753025
      4 hours ago

Try bending the bottom of the base of the pumpkin up to mimic the dimple in the bottom of a real pumpkin.

• Cathy sunshine

I’m am going to Home Depot now to get all the materials. Thanks for sharing your great crafty idea with us. Can I place them outside on my stairs or will it rust?

• Terri Gaston Shore

I'm not a huge fall decor person but this is awesome! And easy! The combo couldn't be better!

Have you tried doing an apple?

If you do please send me a pic!

This will be on my list of things to do!

Thanks!

Terri