Let's Make a Clothespin Basket

$6

When I think of baskets, I think of Fall and the various ways you can use them to decorate for the season! It's such an easy way to add simple touches for a beautiful look! Sure, there are lots of baskets out there - so many styles, sizes and prices to choose from, but how special would it be to make your own? And the best part, you can create a unique handmade basket using items from the dollar store! You
let s make a clothespin basket
Let's begin by opening a pumpkin design square napkin and placing it down, face up on your work surface. Take a bowl or round top with an opening that would fit over the pumpkin design plus a little border. Using a small brush, dip in water and dab the napkin area around the bowl or top. Use your fingernail tip to separate the excess napkin following around the damp area in a circle.

let s make a clothespin basket
Next, separate the layers of the napkin. Then paint on mod podge around the center of the burner pan.  Lay the pattern side of the napkin face-up onto the mod podge, smoothing from the center out, all around.  Let dry. Repeat steps for the second smaller pan.

let s make a clothespin basket
The pumpkin color on the smaller pan looks deeper because I cut out a second napkin pumpkin (just the pumpkin) and mod podged it on top of the first one. Doing that gives the pumpkin color a much richer look.To seal the napkins on the pan, paint on another layer of mod podge and let dry.
let s make a clothespin basket
Next, run a line of Rapid-Fuse glue (enough for about 6-7 clothespins at a time) around the center of the outer rim of the burner cover pan.  Begin placing the clothespins on the rim. The glue dries quickly so don't add too much along the rim at any given time. 

let s make a clothespin basket
Be sure to place the clothespins as close to each other, as possible, making sure they are straight. There will be a slight gap between each clothespin because of the metal springs.
let s make a clothespin basket
Continue adding glue and then the clothespins until .  .  .
let s make a clothespin basket
the rims are completely covered with clothespins for a unique, bushel basket rustic look. Doesn't this look so cool?
let s make a clothespin basket
I love the natural look of the clothespins .  .  . but you can paint them if you want!
let s make a clothespin basket
let s make a clothespin basket
It's a lovely look for Fall!
let s make a clothespin basket
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 13, 2018 11:03 PM - More info
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Monique

Why not just buy burner covers that have a pumpkin design on them already?? Bet they're out there "somewhere"!! Great idea.....love these!!

• Thanks, Monique! The idea was to use items from the dollar store to make something. And this is what I came up with.

• SHARE

When you added a second line of Clothes pins, did you glue them inside the first set or glue them on the outside of the first set. Can't tell by the picture. Thanks, Love this and will try it. Happy Fall!!!!

• Thanks, Share! I just placed the smaller basket inside the larger one to take the picture. It does look interesting that way!

• Joyce
    2 hours ago

Have you tried making these with a photograph, a print or a cloth napkin? Wondering how the ModPodge would work on those.

• I have used Mod Podge on photos and prints and I had to copy them using a laser printer first to prevent bleeding. And I think using cloth would be fine with the Mod Podge, too. It's so much better than paper napkins.

• Mcgypsy9

Very cute and such a great idea! I want something for the laundry room made with these and I have a ton of clothespins but wasn’t sure what I was making. Now I know...lol! These will be perfect little baskets for catch all’s!

• Moc12753030

great idea,

I can see this for Easter & Christmas.