You Can Save That Hosta!

Okay, it is that time of the year and you walk out into your garden and you see your hosta has fallen over and you pick it up to discover that the roots have been eaten. What do you do?
Do not throw it out!
Have you tried to separate your hosta clump and you broke one of the leaves off and it has no roots...
can you save it?
Most likely the answer is YES!
I have have saved hostas for years that have been attacked by voles and other critters and even ones that I have harmed in my quest to divide them. It is so easy to do and only requires (rain) water and a glass jar, vase, or other container.
Voles love the roots of hostas. With this information I know that I have to walk the gardens and pay close attention to any size of distress on any of my plants. If I notice a high activity of moles tunnels (the dogs digging trenches is a sure sign) then I am extra vigilant about walking around checking out my hostas as well as my other plants.
Rooting the hostas takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks so be patient and make sure the water level stays constant in the jar/vase. After it has rooted, then either plant it in a pot or move it back to the ground.
So do not panic if you find a plant distress do not just throw it out!
Happy gardening everyone!
and check out my blog!
you can save that hosta, container gardening, gardening
6/14/14 first hosta of the season-found this the other day leaning over
Notice there are a few small white roots-this is a great sign! Put this in a vase with just enough water to go about 2" above the roots. In about 6 weeks this will be ready to plant again.
Sitting on my potting bench-patiently waiting and checking for the plants to be ready to either go in a pot or in the ground.
5/21/14 I divided this hosta and these leaves broke off but the crown of the root is still in tact (the end which has no roots that you see here in pic). This is still viable and can easily be rooted without any chemicals.
6/2/14 Roots are appearing-this is exciting when this happens.
6/14/14 Roots have grown about an 1 1/2" now. I will wait another couple weeks to put in a pot. You could even put this in a pot now and keep it moist and do not let it dry out.

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Caroline

Does it have to be rain water? Can it be tap or bottled water? And also what if it hasn’t rained lately?

• Jane

If you use tap water it’s best to let it sit for 3-4 days to let the chlorine dissipate.

• Judy

Any ideas on how to get rid of the moles, they about destroyed my flower beds last year.

• Deb

Plant beer bottles ( empty ) with about an inch and a half of the neck stickinking out. Plant several around your garden area, or if you have a bid problem with moles plant them every 18 inches along your property line. The wind blowing over the bottles causes an unsettling sound under the ground which frightens the moles and the run like mad in the other direction. IT WORKS!!!

• Shirley

We have chipmunks, how do we get rid of them.

• Denise

If you really want to permanently get rid of chipmunks take a bucket of water, lean a board against the top of the bucket from the ground. Place some corn at the top of the board. The chipmunk falls into the bucket...

• Chelle

swee thanks!

• R

I had a three huge hosta patches in my backyard for 50 years. Came back more and more year after year. And than the deer showed up. It was like a deer salad for them.