DIY Fridge Pocket

$2

As part of our new weekly show, Workshop Wednesday, we will occasionally feature a fast DIY project.

This week we upcycled a baking pan into a fridge pocket to be used to store coupons, recipes, mail, and more.

The video is the entire Workshop Wednesday, but you can fast forward to time code 2:40 if you only want to see the DIY tutorial.
diy fridge pocket
First off, gather your materials. You'll need a baking pan you no longer use. If it is greasy, you'll need to clean it, otherwise the paint will not stick to it. You'll also need rare earth magnets, spray paint and optional primer, fast acting glue, clamps, and a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.
diy fridge pocket
With a marker, mark your cutting line. You can make your pocket however tall you'd like. Use a speed square if you have one as it makes it easy to draw a straight line across the pan. Clamp the pan to your workspace to keep it from moving when you make your cut. (Below we have a piece of insulation foam to protect our work surface).
diy fridge pocket
Make sure you have a metal cutting blade in your saw. BEFORE you start to make the cut, be sure to put on tight fitting safety glasses, a mask, and ear protection. Also, it's a good idea to wear tight fitting long sleeves to protect yourself from the small metal shards that come off the metal as it is being cut.
diy fridge pocket
Once cut, be sure to clean the piece of dust and dirt. I sprayed the pocket with primer first, let that dry and finished with a coat of blue paint.
diy fridge pocket
Once dry, add the magnets to the back side with fast acting glue. I used the pencil eraser to push the magnets down into the glue. Allow to dry as stated on the glue directions.
diy fridge pocket
Add your new handy pocket to your fridge to store all those bits of paper that clutter your fridge.
diy fridge pocket
Do you have any old pans that need a new purpose?
Mother Daughter Projects

• Lori Johnson

I'd probably try something similar if my husband happens to have the tools. :) Would just cutting one end off an 8x8 pan work too? They're a little deeper than a cookie sheet, though not as long. Maybe even a pie pan for utensil storage. That would organize the drawers and make it easier to find certain items. This is a great idea and is giving me ideas now too. Thanks!

• Heather Widran

Hey... Anytime 😉