DIY Fridge Pocket

$2

As part of our new weekly show, Workshop Wednesday, we will occasionally feature a fast DIY project.

This week we upcycled a baking pan into a fridge pocket to be used to store coupons, recipes, mail, and more.

The video is the entire Workshop Wednesday, but you can fast forward to time code 2:40 if you only want to see the DIY tutorial.

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter   here!

First off, gather your materials. You'll need a baking pan you no longer use. If it is greasy, you'll need to clean it, otherwise the paint will not stick to it. You'll also need rare earth magnets, spray paint and optional primer, fast acting glue, clamps, and a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

With a marker, mark your cutting line. You can make your pocket however tall you'd like. Use a speed square if you have one as it makes it easy to draw a straight line across the pan. Clamp the pan to your workspace to keep it from moving when you make your cut. (Below we have a piece of insulation foam to protect our work surface).

Make sure you have a metal cutting blade in your saw. BEFORE you start to make the cut, be sure to put on tight fitting safety glasses, a mask, and ear protection. Also, it's a good idea to wear tight fitting long sleeves to protect yourself from the small metal shards that come off the metal as it is being cut.

Once cut, be sure to clean the piece of dust and dirt. I sprayed the pocket with primer first, let that dry and finished with a coat of blue paint.

Once dry, add the magnets to the back side with fast acting glue. I used the pencil eraser to push the magnets down into the glue. Allow to dry as stated on the glue directions.

Add your new handy pocket to your fridge to store all those bits of paper that clutter your fridge.

Do you have any old pans that need a new purpose?

Mother Daughter Projects

• Nina Li

looks great but does that edge you cut sharp enough to cut you if you touch it?

• Duke

they have plastic pockets to hang at office stores that would be easy to dress up and I would think about the same price and take less time ... how about turn that baking sheet into a tray???

• Leslie

Hi Duke, Steph and Vicki are giving an alternative and very effective way of using what we have and don't use or the object has gone past usefulness and re-used in a different way. I think it is a great idea and I am going to go through my old pans to see which one I want to use :)

• Patti fogg

Why isn’t my Hometalk script coming in my mail. Paf184@yahoo.com. I love your ideas.

• Leslie

Pattie if you are not getting Hometalk in your e-mail you should put the addy in your contact folder. I had the same problem after I no longer received their mail. I contacted them and they told me what I told you to do :)

• Dahliaqueen

Alas new refrigerators are no longer magnet friendly!! Now l have to clean the fridge door when in the olden daze my magnets and memos covered up the smudges!!

• Dahliaqueen

No can do......built in fridge! And honestly l’ve gotten used to s clutter free fridge! But l still love seeing all the great ideas you guys come up with and share. Keep up the good work !!

• Leslie

Thank you for the great idea guys, a great use for unused baking sheets :)