Asked on Sep 13, 2018

What type flooring is best to join a LR with kitchen?

HejeLauren of Mom Home GuideKelli L. Milligan
+7

My space is open with LR at one end & kitchen at other. I have new vinyl plank in the kitchen which meets with living room carpet. I want to remove the carpet but can't seem to decide what to replace it with. House is on pier & beam so can't use heavy tile flooring. Would like to use 18" vinyl squares or stone look vinyl of some kind but worried about matching colors. The kitchen vinyl plank is dark gray & browns. And how will I cover the seam that will exist?

• Marie Entz
    Marie Entz

Is the vinyl plank in your kitchen wood look? If so, just continue with that.

• Gk
    Gk

I would use the same kind of flooring you have in the kitchen. It will make your entire space look cohesive and larger. As for covering the seams where the flooring meets they make molding for that transition. If it is at all possible you may be able to continue the flooring by attaching it to what you have down already. If your new flooring in the kitchen is a click lock plank flooring it could be done.

• Jane
      Jane

Thanks. I would if I could but the vinyl plank, wood look in my kitchen has been discontinued.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Use the same flooring

• Kelli L. Milligan
      Kelli L. Milligan

Ok, put down a decorative transition strip. Can be a lighter or darker wood look vinyl in the opposite direction . Then start your new floor. It will act like a border. Since you cannot do what you already have you could get close and it won't be so visible. You could get fancy with the transition strip like one lighter, one darker, then one lighter. Or use one layer of the marble look. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a good job.

.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree. The same flooring would look best and would make your space appear larger.

• Heje
    Heje

Try to find the same flooring. Lumber Liquidators can often find the matching one.

• Jane
      Jane

Thanks! I'll try that. I have looked elsewhere but have given up as it was discontinued.