Asked on Sep 13, 2018

How to get rid of bamboo?

Kelli L. MilliganNancy TurnerTinyshoes
+4

The previous owners of my property left a large clump of bamboo - the spreading kind  !! Having cut it down to the ground, I had the bright idea of advertising it as 'free to anyone who digs it up'....and it worked, to a point! I am still left with a few roots and - as it has spread into my neighbour's garden - I am expecting it to make a reappearance. I don't want to use chemicals on it as I have a lovely Bottle Brush tree immediately adjacent. Someone told me that the black 'weed barrier matting' (I don't know the technical term!) would stop it coming through, but I find that hard to believe, knowing (from previous experience) that it will push up through patio grouting, given a chance. What's my next best move?

• Elise
    Elise

It is very invasive. Just keep pulling it up & try & get roots. May take a few years but you can eventually get rid of it. Perseverence. Yucca & moon flowers are the same. It may get worse before it gets better.

• Joanne lueke
    Joanne lueke

Maybe this will help. https://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Bamboo

• You need to dig deep and get all the roots. It will spread quickly if there are roots left in the soil. Once that is taken care of you need to remove and stray shoots that come up before it gets invasive again

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

Trish...My husband went in a fixer up we purchased with a bobcat and literally scraped to get roots...I agree is is terribly invasive. Not back yet but we are still waiting because it hasn't been that long.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

You can use weed killer to kill the bamboo and not the surrounding trees, plants, etc. Cut it down almost to the soil level, paint with the weed killer on the fresh cut part with a brush. It will get to the roots easier if it doesn't have far to go and it will not harm anything else. I do this with wild grape and other invasives in my yard without a problem. It will take time and perseverance and treating every shoot that comes up or comes back. It took me nearly a year to kill off the mother plant to one of the wild grapes that was about five inches across, but it hasn't come back in four years. Bamboo can be a long struggle, but you can do it, Trish!

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

My friend actually dug a trence 3' deep and put i n a aluminium wall. It worked, it stayed in place. But drastic.