Easy Fall Chalkboard DIY

$16

I love finding new ways to spruce up my decor....and admittedly, fall is probably my favorite season to decorate for. And it's not just because my birthday is in October ;) I love the changing leaves, pumpkins, cooler weather (hello sweatshirts- I've missed you!) hot chocolate, pumpkin spice scented candles, bonfires...and that cozy feeling that always seems to accompany fall.
diy chalkboard sign
So for my fall decor this year, I wanted to make a chalkboard sign out of an old cutting board.  I thought it would be awesome to find some thrifted cutting board and make all my Pinterest dreams come true.  But sometimes the stars don't align, and no matter how many times you stalk the thrift stores shelves...no perfect old cutting board appears.  Bummer!  But as I was about to scrap my fall DIY plan, I happened to stop into Big Lots, and low and behold in the kitchen section- I saw my cutting board!!  It was practically perfect, and actually a cheese board.  Same difference though :)  It was the right height and had a handle...and the best part??  It was only $12 dollars!!!  And while it wasn't a thrift store steal...it was totally what I was looking for.
diy chalkboard sign
Supplies needed:

Wood cutting/cheese board
Measuring tape
Masking tape
Chalkboard paint
Small paint roller/or brush
Chalk
Chalk pen
Paper with printed wording/graphic (optional)
diy chalkboard sign
First I removed all the stickers and glue residue from the cutting board.  If your cutting board is rough or has a poly/shiny surface- you will need to sand it smooth before you start.
Then I measured out the area where I wanted my chalkboard to be on the board, and taped it off.  I measured about 1 inch in from the edges all the way around the board for mine.
diy chalkboard sign
diy chalkboard sign
Then I used a mini roller to apply the chalkboard paint, because I wanted a smooth surface.
diy chalkboard sign
Paint the first coat and let it dry for 1 hour, before applying the second one.  Then you need to let the paint cure for 24 hours, before using it.
diy chalkboard sign
After the chalkboard paint dries, remove the masking tape.
diy chalkboard sign
Once your chalkboard paint has cured, and before you write anything on it- you want to "season" it.  This will help you erase your board cleanly when you want to change the wording/art.  Take a piece of chalk (I just used some sidewalk chalk from my kids stash) and using the side of the chalk, rub it all over the chalkboard.
diy chalkboard sign
Then use a damp paper towel or cloth to remove the chalk.  There will some residue left, but that's okay.
diy chalkboard sign
Then you can print out the saying and font you want to put on your chalkboard.  I just created this saying in Word and printed it out to copy.
diy chalkboard sign
diy chalkboard sign
Then use your chalk pen to copy and/or write your script on the chalkboard.
**Chalk pen tip: let your lettering dry, and then go over it a second time to create crisp, bright designs.
diy chalkboard sign
Once you are finished, you can display your beautiful chalkboard sign, in all it's fall glory!
diy chalkboard sign
This project was really easy to make, and I love that it can be used over and over again- no matter the season.  Just erase it and start over....the possibilities are endless!
Jordan|featherbrained~fancy