Kitchen Renovation to Sell a Home

$12000
1 Week
Advanced

Without a doubt, kitchens and bathrooms sell houses so when we were thinking of selling our house a kitchen renovation was a must! Unfortunately, the previous owner of our house didn't think that way. Below is the actual real estate picture of how the kitchen looked before I bought the house!

The kitchen sported the original 80's builder cabinets with some improvisation on the part of the previous owner. For instance, see that cabinet holding the toaster oven? It looked like something that had been dragged in from the curb. Not that there's anything wrong with upcyling (it's what Birdz of a Feather thrive on!), but it didn't even have a proper countertop - just a grungy piece of painted plywood.

The counter space was about the size of a postage stamp (between the sink and stove and beside the fridge). It was hardly a kitchen you'd enjoy cooking in!

kitchen renovation to sell a home

The Mish Mash that Was Our Kitchen

I purchased the house when I was single so when Hubs moved in, we moved the fridge to the other wall to open up the entry to the kitchen. We painted the oak trim on the cabinets, built a new (pot drawer) unit to hold the toaster oven (with a real counter!) and added two more banks of pot drawers where the fridge used to be. We also added a vintage broom closet and built a cabinet above it for more storage (shown two pictures below).

The improvising didn't stop with the previous owner: we can be accused of that too! When a friend helped us build our pot drawers, for instance, we didn't get around to putting drawer fronts on them! And while we did at least add a counter, it was a piece from the craft studio I built in my parents house that I never got around to capping on the ends.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

More Improvisation

Our second wave of improvisation came when we decided to go exploring one day to see if we could remove the bulkheads (soffits) for our 'someday' kitchen renovation. Those bulkheads were the bane of my existence; I wanted them to come down so we could take the upper cabinets right to the ceiling but we discovered pipes and wiring that were too challenging to relocate. The cartoon canvasses you see below on the bulkheads were ultimately put there to strategically cover the exploration holes that we never got around to fixing.

With the kitchen ugly - but functional- we turned a blind eye to our unfinished honey-do list and lived with it for a number of years. Afterall, we were busy with other projects, as you well know if you're a regular Birdz of a Feather reader!

kitchen renovation to sell a home

The Decision to Move

I can't speak for Hubs, but I wanted to move for many reasons: since I already owned the house when we were married, it wasn't one we chose together. Wouldn't it be nice for Hubs to have input on the next house? I disliked the fact that there was no window in the front of the house (as shown in the layout below). Wouldn't it be nice to have a view to the world outside?

kitchen renovation to sell a home

I felt the basement was going to be too small to accommodate a craft studio for me. Wouldn't it be nice to have the same amount of space I had when I built the craft studio in my parents' basement? Or perhaps we could find a property with a completely separate studio space!! There were so many 'wouldn't it be nice's' that the list could go on, but I'll stop there :)

Tips for Remodelling to Sell

How Much to Spend?

Don't overspend to make your house presentable to put on the market. Generally, you can spend between 6 and 10 percent of the total home value to get decent returns. When you remodel to sell a property, choose materials that appeal to the masses.

Instead of expensive stone counters, consider materials like butcher block for the countertop (which is what we used below).

kitchen renovation to sell a home

Although you can’t go wrong with real stone counters, butcher block looks great at a fraction of the price. It's also more readily available when you're eager to get your home on the market!

kitchen renovation to sell a home

The one caveat is that you can also be too cheap and overlook items that buyers expect in your price range. If you own a multi-million dollar house, for instance, splurge on the stone counters - but keep the colour selection neutral for mass appeal.

Cabinets

If the cabinets are outdated, ask yourself if it is worth the cost to replace them. Perhaps painting them and/or changing out the hardware will refresh the look enough to give the kitchen an updated appearance. Unfortunately there was nothing that could redeem our '80's cabinets; they were so dated they had to go!

White is always a safe colour choice, as is a shaker door. White will brighten any space and a shaker door isn't too traditional or too modern. In went these white shaker cabinets:

kitchen renovation to sell a home

If you do replace cabinetry, spend on functional features like soft close cabinet drawers and doors (a big improvement on our old kitchen!). Pantry drawers and pot drawers could blow a budget, so keep the cabinetry simple.

Appliances

Opt for stainless steel appliances that are high quality rather than professional-grade (unless you plan to take the appliances with you).

Splurge on the Backsplash

This is where it pays to splurge! If you’re not doing stone counters for a resale reno, a marble backsplash will make up for it. It can be a real showstopper. Only a little goes a long way.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

Add Symmetry

You may be wondering what happened to those bulkheads we knocked holes into! Unfortunately the bulkheads couldn’t come down because of all the things hiding underneath, but the next best thing was to extend the bulkheads the full length of the kitchen, then add more cabinetry to balance the layout. As you’ll see in the reveal, this added some much needed symmetry to the space.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

Here’s a reminder of the before:

kitchen renovation to sell a home

Look at the after, with that gorgeous marble feature wall as the focal point! It was a good idea to move the sink and build a wall at the end of the counter to enclose it because it hides the dishes from the sightline of the dining room! It's something buyers will appreciate after they're in the home.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

Finishing Touches

Don’t over-personalize the space. You may love high end drawer pulls that look like a million bucks (and cost almost as much), but buyers won't really care what the hardware cost or even notice. Be thrifty and practical with the things you'll leave behind. We used a classic cup pull on the drawers and knob on the doors, as you see below.

Invest in staging! Buy baskets to hide clutter. Purchase fresh flowers to display in bunches on the counter (or bring some in from the garden if it's summer). If you're tight on money, borrow decor pieces from friends and family, then return them when the house is sold. If worse comes to worse, purchase your decor from a company with a good return policy: keep the labels on until you get your marketing pictures then return the items when you're done!

Staging a space with a few key pieces will make your online real estate pictures pop and stand out from the crowd.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

Change the Paint Color / Add an Eating Nook

As you see in this before shot, the end wall where the patio doors were located was painted beige which made the space seem darker.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

After, a new coat of light grey paint really brightened things up! And, for the first time ever, we had an eat-in kitchen with the addition of a little bistro table and chairs! How charming is that? Adding curtains around the patio doors also softened the decor. The curtains frame the vignette perfectly.

kitchen renovation to sell a home

When All is Said and Done

The transformation was so stunning that, needless to say, the kitchen renovation helped increase the value of our property. A kitchen remodel can return a range from 70% to 93% on your investment.

We also improved other areas of the house and had it reassessed for $55,000 more than the original appraisal - a great return on our investment!! If you're thinking about selling your own property and the kitchen is less than stellar, like ours was, it is well worth the investment to spend some money on improvements.

A Change of Heart - Decision to Stay

We loved the kitchen so much that we ultimately decided to stay. Not long after finishing the kitchen, we went ahead and built my craft studio in the basement (and a mancave for Hubs) which you can find on our site.

This kitchen was installed to help sell our home. After living with it for a while, we made further modifications to it because of our decision to stay. Stay tuned for next week's post on what we did to make further improvements.

Get your DIY mojo on at Birdz of a Feather and subscribe (link below where you see our logo)! You can also follow us on: 

,

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG 

• Appliances  (Ikea)
  • Hardware  (Lee Valley)
Birdz of a Feather

• Wal31541960

Beautiful kitchen. How do you care for your butcher block counters? which I love the contrast of them in your space along with your whole design.

• Birdz of a Feather

We haven't done anything with them yet, but should probably treat them with mineral oil, which is food safe.

• Suzan

How did you get your grout so clean?

• Diane S Worrell

Just a question, how do you open the dishwasher to load from where the new sink is? Is there a space between those?

• Birdz of a Feather

There is a spacer but no room to stand between the sink and dishwasher. We just step back and load from the front: since everything slides out anyway it isn't a problem.