Asked on Sep 14, 2018

How can I restore an old stained, yellowed,embroidered baby pillow?

LadonnaWendy McQuistonMey13384933
+11

• Nancy
    Nancy

Soak it in a mixture of warm water, baking soda a and Dawn. Rinse well and dry. If that doesn’t work, try some Oxiclean.

• Em
    Em

Put yellowed items in a large pot of water. Add 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup baking soda. (Alternatively you can do this same method using an oxygen bleach.)

Bring to a boil and turn off the burner. The secret to cleaning linens is hot water. Allow to soak (with occasional stirring) for as long as needed. It’s not uncommon for it to take 2 to 3 days. You can re-heated the water a couple of times a day to allow the hot water to do its’ magic!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Ladonna,

I would use Oxyclean.

• Sherri
    Sherri

Ladonna, make sure it's washable! I know, silly. But if it isn't washable obviously it will be ruined. Like Redcat, I would use Oxyclean. (Actually if your dollar store has a powdered oxy detergent you can use that.) Make sure you dissolve it in your warm water completely and soak your pillow. Good luck.

• Mey13384933
    Mey13384933

I soaked a 30+ year old christening dress in Oxyclean and it came out as white as the day it was used. You may need to change the water and use more Oxyclean but it does the trick. Good Luck

• Ladonna
      Ladonna

I'll try it. The pillow is old, like the dress you did, and precious. Appreciate the help.

• Wendy McQuiston
    Wendy McQuiston

You can also do what our grandmothers did many years ago. Once you get it pretty white and clean, put it out on green grass on a really hot day. It'll whiten it even more. I second Oxyclean. It's great stuff. I would NOT use bleach on something really old because bleach can break down the fibers.

• Ladonna
    Ladonna

Wonder what the grass does?

• Wendy McQuiston
    Wendy McQuiston

I don't know. Never did know. But Granny (and my Mom) would put LOTS of things laying out on the yard on a HOT day. Had to be a hot sunny day so I suspect it's the sun more than anything. But I don't know why it was always on the grass.

• Ladonna
    Ladonna

That's sweet. Thanks!