How do we repair drywall?

  5 answers
  • Janice Janice on Sep 14, 2018

    Hi Marilyn, you can purchase drywall "spackle" in small containers at the home improvement store. It is premixed and is a mixture about like cream cheese that can be applied with a metal or plastic spatula type device to "mend" the divets or holes in drywall. Some varieties, when applied, go on as a colored product and dry white so you know then that it can be sanded down to get ready to paint.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 14, 2018

    It depends on the size and type of damage. Janice's advice is good as long as they are small problems. I would advice to use a damp sponge instead of sand paper. I've been finishing drywall that way for over 15 years. It does a great job and isn't nearly as dusty. You may need to do multiple passes on the repair & finish to get it the way you want.

    If it's a larger hole, you can buy a small patch that's a weaved materials. It's self adhesive to the wall. The largest hole I've patched with this is where we had an in the wall phone jack.

    If it's even larger than that, you will need to cut out the area and, using drywall screws, affix a new piece of drywall in the hole. Then mud seams & screw holes (they should be countersunk) and finish.

  • Larry wallace Larry wallace on Sep 15, 2018

    First of all Kathy's answer is good info but if you have a large hole that you need to repair using another piece of drywall, here are some tips to make it easier. (1) cut the patch piece to be inserted into the hole first, make sure the patch size is larger than the hole in the wall then place the patch piece over the hole and trace around the patch piece on the wall. then when you cut that shape out, your patch will fit like a glove. (2) get a piece of scrap lumber 4 to 6" longer than the patch is tall. Insert this board into the hole to be patched and drive a drywall screw thru the existing drywall so you end up with a support board inside the wall centered in the hole that you can attach the patch to. Then finish off like Kathy said.

  • Cheryl Gillman Cheryl Gillman on Sep 15, 2018

    It depends how big the hole is. If it's on the smaller size you can use mud, or putty, sand it once it's dry then paint. If it's a little larger, but not big enough to need a whole new piece of drywall you can use newspaper, drywall tape, and mud/putty, just squish up the newspaper and stuff it in the hole, cover it with a piece or 2 of drywall tape, mud or putty it, sand when dry then paint.

    If it's on the larger side, cut a square around the area where the hole is, measure and buy a new piece of drywall (a smaller piece) and cut it to size and fit it in the hole. And if it's a very large spot, it would 've easy to just replace the whole piece.

Your comment...