Giving Your Front Door a Makeover With Paint

$40

A new front door is often times not within budget your you'll be saving for a little while to purchase one. Instead, try giving your front door a brand new pop of color by painting it. It will instantly change the look of the entrance of your home and make you feel like you have a brand new door. Here's a guide on how you can paint your front door this weekend.

giving your front door a makeover with paint
Step 1: Check your door and your door frame for any scratches, holes, and dings that need to be filled in. You can use wood putty for the frame and for the door as long as it's made of wood.
Step 2: Lightly sand your door and any area you added wood putty with 180 grit sandpaper. This will smooth everything out and give your paint something to grasp onto.
Step 3: Wipe down your front door and trim to remove any dirt, sanding dust, and any other residue. You'll want start with a clean surface! This can be done with TSP or dawn dish soap with warm water.
Step 4: Place painter's tape around the door hardware to protect it from the paint.
Step 5: Using a paint that includes primer and made for the exterior of your home, start painting your door. If you don't use a paint with primer, make sure to prime your door first. You'll also want to either paint your trim the same color or go with white.
Step 6: When you get to the outer portions of your door, you'll want to open your door enough to be able to paint the whole door. Make sure to leave your door slightly open until the paint fully dries. If you close your door too early, you risk having the paint stick to the door frame and pulling it off the door.
You now have a brand new door just by updating it with a little paint. To find out the order in which I painted our door and the color we used, check out the blog post on our website.
Elizabeth Rishel

• I would like to do this. It is difficult to leave my door open due to the heat and humidity. Also what do you reccomend to keep the paint from streaking?

• Robin W Tedford

If my door is metal how would I fix any damage to the door

• Wxw

Autobody filler is the answer. We had to repair a few places on our front door before placing on the market. Our "Mr. Fix It" used autobody filler, it looked perfect. Also works to repair small sections of damaged wood. That repair with a fresh coat of paint and you are good as new. Best of luck.

• Barbara Fryer Conover

What about metal doors.. brush or roller

• Lee Turner

For sure our door is metal thou and white. The sides are wood so I would do red door and white sides.

• Bonnie Cooper

If you're door is facing the sun paint it a light color because it gets very hot from the sun especially if it is metal

• Iolanthe Xleonx

I’m doing it this weekend!!!!!