Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Solar Light Fall Makeover

$0

So some of you may have seen my post in the early summer where I created a solar light using a flower collar. I love creating different things for my solar light edison bulbs from season to season. I was inspired once again after I finished my recent post making pumpkins out of metal strapping to create my solar light using the same material. It appears owls are very popular in fall decor, they seem to be on everything so I took my inspiration from that.
solar light fall makeover
So this was the original light I made for summer using the flower collar. Brought it in from outside to give it a makeover.
solar light fall makeover
These are the supplies needed. Metal strapping, two mason jar lids, googly eyes, nut and bolt, pair of wire cutters , pair of pliers and glue gun.
solar light fall makeover
Cut your wire, I measured 28 inches for the body.
solar light fall makeover
I wrapped it around my light in case I had to make any adjustments to the length.
solar light fall makeover
Next you are going to take you nut and bolt and secure the strapping in place. You can begin to shape your owl. If you are unsure of the shape Pinterest has lots of pics of owls to give you an idea of shape etc.
solar light fall makeover
Next you are going to cut another piece 20 inches in length for the head. I used two more nuts and bolts to secure in place while I shaped the head.
solar light fall makeover
Take your two mason jar lids and glue lid to ring to secure.
solar light fall makeover
Take lids and place where you want them. I cut two pieces of the strapping in 1 inch lengths. You are going to bend them over the lid and the top of your owl head. Take a pair of pliers to squeeze together to secure in place. Glue on your googly eyes.
solar light fall makeover
So it should be looking like this. I used my pliers on the ears to make them pointier.
solar light fall makeover
Next I took a pine cone to attach as a beak with my glue gun. You are going to glue this in the middle of where the lids meet.
solar light fall makeover
Next I took a branch and cut a piece of wire and attached to my owl frame. Used two pieces about two inches apart to make them look like claws.
solar light fall makeover
At this stage you can shape your owl to your own personal satisfaction before completing final steps. Take some fall leaves and attach with glue gun to your branch. Or you can leave as is. Now you are going to take the existing solar light and using a piece of wire secure in the middle of the body of your owl.
solar light fall makeover
You have now created an awesome fall solar light! Although a little time consuming as I was figuring it out as I went along I am in love with this little guy. It cost me nothing to make as I had all the existing material. Going to make one more as I have two lights.
solar light fall makeover
Here it is lit up at night. Thinking some glow in the dark eyes might look good.

• Susan Feaver Neufeld

I'm not familiar with the collar flower you used - can you tell me what it is and where to get it please? TIA I love the owl!

• G Ma Ann

I had to look up the flower collar also it is used by florists and they are sold online. Oh the uses that come to mind now that I have seen them. Love this owl idea! Will check out dollar store for purchase.

• Shireen Holtak

I love cats. Do you have any ideas for cat lights . Lots of details please. I'm a novice.😉

• Melanie

Hi Shireen, I love cats too, my mom has 5! It's funny you ask this question because when I was first shaping my owl I thought it looked like a cat. So basically you could create a cat from my steps to create the owl. It would just require shaping the ears differently and adding a tail. Strapping is very easy to work with. My suggestion to you would be to look on Pinterest for a simple picture of a cat. If you can print and enlarge it to a size you want take your strapping and follow the picture. I just used nut and bolt to secure in place. Hope this helps.

• Dan N Nancy Larson

What is flower collar?

• Melanie

A flower collar is a wire mesh used to hold bouquets of flowers.