Is there a deterrent for keeping mice out of your house without traps?

+6
  • Virgie Jaquess Virgie Jaquess on Sep 15, 2018

fill in any holes with steel wool

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Sep 15, 2018

Fill every miniscule hole you can find into the house. Mint oil on a cotton ball is something they don't like.

• Dee Dee on Sep 15, 2018

Or you can use Tea Tree oil on cotton and fill holes with that

• Cheryl Gillman Cheryl Gillman on Sep 15, 2018

Make sure to cover/fill in ALL holes, if they can fit their head through they can squish their body down to fit through so even quarter size holes should be filled. As mentioned above steel wool is something they are unable to chew through. Also remove any easy access to food/animal food. Put all food into glass containers to store It (don't leave it in boxes or plastic) store animal food in glass containers aswell and don't leave any in their dishes either if they don't finish what's given, put it away. Also the same with water, gmakr sure any access to water sources are taken away. That's a big thing that will help deter them, they like to nest/home close to food/water sources

• Rats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter and mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime. You need to find every hole and plug it up. Call around and see what exterminators offer a free inspection. Get one and then plug the holes. Don't get scared and fall for their hard sell tactics. 95% of them use toxic chemicals that you don't want in your home anyway. Where I live a bunch of "environmentally safe" services were busted as they flat out lied and used the same chemicals as everyone else. Clean up your property and do not give them a reason to visit you. I live in a semi rural area and to have a rat or mouse turn up occasionally is to be expected, just do not give them a reason to go get their buddies and return.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Sep 15, 2018
    Hi Carolyn, this is Peggy. Be sure to go around your house and plug every crack or hole. Mice can get in the smallest places. Be sure not to leave anything (food) that will lure them close to your home.
  • Joan Joan on Sep 16, 2018

I have been feeding mine mice bait under the porch.

• Sandra O'Shea Sandra O'Shea on Sep 16, 2018

I heard from a friend that they use bounce dryer sheets. My friend puts them in the attic or anywhere he does not want the mice to get into. He said they don't like the smell and it has worked for him. Please do further investigating for I do not know if you have animals or small children to think of. He said they need to be the bounce ones though if you decide to try it.

• You can put a few drops of peppermint spray on some cotton balls. But you will need to do re-do this every day to keep the smell strong. Hope this helps. Hugs, Holly