A Counter Top Make Over With Paint That Will Wow You

This easy tutorial will show you how you too can give your formica counter tops a new and exiting finish with just paint, a stencil and varnish.
a counter top make over with paint that will wow you, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, painting
Being a stencil designer and faux finish artist, I could see past my nasty, stained, white counter tops to what they "Could be". So I began by scrubbing them sparkling clean, wiping with pure white vinegar (which slightly etches the surface), then priming them as a pre-prep for my painted finish.
Poorly installed, this counter top had very obvious seams that I hated!
Using standard acrylic paint, I first painted the entire counter top brown. Step two was to add variation of color which I did with cream colored paint in various areas. Notice how the color was applied almost as marble would look. I only slightly blended these lines, being sure to leave strong division between the colors.
Using our Faux Granite Effects stencil, I laid the stencil over the surface and stenciled granite spots using a small roller over the stencil. I lifted the stencil then slightly blurred the spots with a sponge.
My next step was to add veining and what would appear to be "mica" flakes. Do this by using a small liner brush (a very thin, pointed bristle artists brush) to create squiggled lines here and there over the surface.
Add mica by dipping a tooth brush in to gold acrylic paint and flicking the bristles randomly over the surface to add flecks of gold.
Lastly, seal with 4 coats of clear, non-yellowing polyurethane in high gloss finish to mimic that beautiful shine of real granite.
The transformation was so pleasing! No more white, nasty counter tops!
With a beautiful new finish on my counters, I now had to think of how I was going to deal with those nasty little ivy tiles above the counter that made the kitchen look out dated. Watch for that project!

To see more: http://victorialarsen.com/painting_granite_stencil.html

• Abigail

How durable is the polyurethane finish? It looks great now! Does it hold up to normal kitchen use or do you need to be careful about scratching it?

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

Hi Abigail, That counter held up well but I've done two counter tops since that time and find that polycrylic holds up even better. I did my current counters 3 years ago and they're holding up perfectly. The polycrylic is better with scratches or dings and seems to be much harder once cured. Hope that helps!

• Val Plue

Was it a laminate counter top?? Tks.