How do I clean old pots and antiques?

+4

I have old pans that have rust and baked on grease that I want to keep. So how I clean them up?

Also have some antiques with rust. How do I clean those?

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Sep 16, 2018

Hello Tina,. I would Google this. "How to get rust off of pots" and "How to clean rust off of antiques". You don't want to ruin them. Aloha!

• Sue Peet Sue Peet on Sep 16, 2018

Have you tried anything yet? I've used SOS pads for some pans but not all like the ones that are nonstick. Even Comet will work to get rust off by putting some in the pan, add a bit of water to make a paste then softly scrub. See if that will work.

• Tina Tina on Sep 16, 2018

Thank you.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Sep 16, 2018

Baking soda and vinegar as a scrub and in water as a soak. Soak any glass or china. Soak any old pans with crud in the bottom. Scrub everything. Be patient with the soaking. More soaking= less scrubbing. Use a scrubber sponge for most things. Aluminum foil ball or steel wool pads for rust. Best wishes, Tina! ☺️

• Tina Tina on Sep 16, 2018

Thank you.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 17, 2018

Hi Tina: as for the baked on grease, give this a go: What I use is a paste made of cream of tartar (the dry stuff) and vinegar. Make a paste, rub it on the gunky stuff, let it sit for about 15 seconds and wipe off. If you have to scrub, and you probably won't, use a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to put the paste on a couple of times if the gunk is really thick. As for the rust, try a moist Brillo pad. As for the antiques, what type are they? You may need to use something like Barkeepers Friend. Good luck

• Tina Tina on Sep 18, 2018

Thank you.