How do I easily paint my oak kitchen cabinets and get a classy look?

+8

We are wanting to make an updated change to our kitchen. They are the classic oak right now, so we are wanting to paint but are afraid of the overwhelming task. We are looking for a fairly easy but good looking fix.

q how do i easily paint my oak kitchen cabinets and get a classy look
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Sep 16, 2018
    4 Ideas: How to Update Oak / Wood Cabinets - Kylie M Interiors
    1. https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/tips-ideas-update-oak-wood-cabinets/

Apr 1, 2017 - How to Update Oak Cabinets Partner post to The Best Paint Colours to go with Oak / WoodOak cabinets - you either love them (if you're a man) ...

5 Ideas: Update Oak Cabinets ...

· ‎

The Best Gray and Greige ... 5 Ideas: Update Oak Cabinets WITHOUT a Drop of Paint

1. https://www.kylieminteriors.ca › ... › Cabinets, Trim, Ceilings & Doors

May 9, 2017 - Ideas to Update Oak Cabinets You might be surprised to hear it, but I'm actually a huge fan of oak cabinets...that's right, a HUGE fan. Why? Well ...

we have the same cabinets we stained ours a darker color and they go great with our floor and our granite countertops you can also paint them

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Sep 16, 2018

Take one of the cabinet doors to the paint department of the home improvement store and ask them to select paint/stains and other finishes and application tools that will work for your kitchen. They have the best selection, the most up-to-date materials and most important, the most informative sales staff to get you what you need for a professional job.

• Dee Dee on Sep 16, 2018

Painting cabinets are not for the faint at heart. It takes weeks to get them right. Using a paint sprayer will eliminate the brush marks. If you don't have a paint sprayer, use mohair rollers. Rustoleum makes a cabinet transformations kit that your may like.

• QueenB QueenB on Sep 17, 2018

Remove doors and hardware and clean all of your surfaces with a liquid deglosser and use lint-free cloths. Make sure you get a deglosser, not a degreaser. Deglosser is sometimes called liquid sandpaper. It will take the shine off the surfaces so that paint can adhere. Start your painting process with Stix primer and follow up with 2 Coats of Advance paint by Benjamin Moore. You need to let these dry at least a full day in between Coats. Be careful about drips. Use good quality paint brushes. Doors will take more than a week because of doing the same process on both sides.

• Joan Huston Joan Huston on Sep 17, 2018

This is not done easily or quickly but can look very good if you take the time to follow every step in the Rustoleum Kit. Be sure to remove all doors and mark them to be sure they go back in right place.

• Nancy Taylor Nancy Taylor on Sep 17, 2018

I just have finished mine, I took all the doors down, took all the hardware off, took them outside and cleaned them with ammonia and a little soap, let them dry, painted with primer, let dry then painted, New hardware is very inexpensive, so I painted the hinges, and bought only plain wooden knobs(from Wal-Mart) that I also painted .A little time consuming but we'll worth it for cheap New Cabinets!!!! Love mine

• Don Don on Sep 17, 2018

I recently refinished my old, outdated bathroom oak cabinets using a kit from Rustoleum and they turned out fantastic -- no stripping or sanding required! Here are a few photos of what the wood looked like before (oak/brown) and after (Federal Gray). I bought the kit at Home Depot and choose my color (they will tint it to one of many available colors you choose). The kits are available for either light or dark cabinets in several colors. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Transformations-Light-Color-Cabinet-Kit-9-Piece-258109/202572588

• Archie Archie on Sep 17, 2018

Good grief, change your lighting and change the hardware. You have nice cabinets now, why mess them up?

Painting them is a lot of work.

• Bijous Bijous on Sep 17, 2018

Hi. One of the first things people want to do is paint cabinets. How about staining them? You can dramatically change the look with a gel stain.

1. Gel stains now come in a variety of colors.
    2. Also install under the cabinet lighting. There are plug-in types, hardware and even battery with remote control! This will immediately upgrade the room.
    3. Spray paint your knobs and clear coat.

Puff! for about $150 USD, you've got a new kitchen. Happy DIY'ing!

• E s desanna E s desanna on Sep 17, 2018

I had the same cabinets. I cleaned & deglossed them, removed the knobs, and carefully taped the hinges. I primed the upper cabinets, then brush painted with two coats of latex satin finish. I had primer tinted for the darker color I chose for the lower cabinets, then again finished with two coats of paint. I was careful painting near the hinges , and could touch up as needed with a fine brush after the tape was removed. I updated the knobs. The process was easy, but took some time. I was pleased with the final result, but it's good to note that oak is very grainy and the texture will show through the paint. I thought I might give a final clear coat for protection, but once the paint cured, it stood up to regular use.

• Nicki Nicki on Sep 17, 2018

We had the same issue and opted to use Rustoleum Cabinet transformation kit. It came with everything you need in the kit. We did ours 3 years ago and they still look great