Finally "faux" Cotton Plant Arrangement

$2

Every time I am at any craft/home decor store I am always drawn to the "cotton" branches. Every time I see the price and say: "I can do that"! But never did, until now...
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
can you see how great they look next to my "faux" dog?

Here is how I started
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
The brown "pods" that will hold the cotton, were hand cut, using a stephanotis pattern I found online. You will need one of these for each cotton "blossom". Raided my makeup drawer for cotton balls, and several twigs, that Mother Nature continues to supply me, free of charge.
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
I always like to give my paper flowers as much texture as possible, so
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
using a stylus (or a ballpoint pen that has run out of ink) I traced around the edge of the pod shape (above you can see a before and after view) I then flipped the pod shape over and added some veining in the center of each petal. Also punched a small hole with one of my paper punches, this I have found allows a secure place to attach the flower to the branches.
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
Now that I have the texture I wanted, I add a dot of hot glue to each petal and attach the cotton ball
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
One by one, I attach the cotton pod to the branches, adding hot glue at the hole I punched earlier and slide a branch into the hole, holding until the glue is set.
finally faux cotton plant arrangement
And this is my finished project. I was thinking of adding some dried grass from the garden, but I kinda like it just the way it is. The possibiities are endless.

Happy crafting everyone!

• Gruber

Great job

• Monica Shaw

Thanks so much for sharing this. Like you I love the cotton branches in the craft stores but they’re a bit out of my budget. Can’t wait to try your method to make my own.