TB
TB
  • Saint Clairsville, OH

Vintage Door Turned Into a Beautiful Display

I purchased a door from a very old Victorian stone home in a historic section of town. I stripped all the old, lead paint off first. It was an 8' door which was slightly too large for my room, so I cut several inches off each end.
vintage door turned into a beautiful display, chalk paint, diy, home decor, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Then I painted the entire door with black chalk paint so that when I distressed it I would see black and not light wood. Plus there's the added benefit of making sure any lead paint remnants were safely covered up behind the paint. I built my two shelves and cut out the trim around the panels so that the lower shelf would sit flush against the main part of the door. I added a decorative wood "appliqué" that I glued to the upper board. I put some decorative trim around the face of the lower shelf.
Once I had everything installed to my liking I dismantled the whole thing and painted it with Annie Sloan chalk paint in Coco and then lightly distressed and very heavily dark waxed it to give it this antique look. I purchased a vintage frame that I am having a piece of mirror glass cut for. I installed some vintage wire wall baskets to hold decorative items (I have to print a photo for the photo frame yet). I am so pleased with the final product! It is so much more interesting than the floating shelves that I had on this wall. I love up cycling and making vintage things my own.

• Ccc

this is all new for me and I was just given the original door from a 1910 house. I want to repurpose it for my pantry door. Could you please tell me what you did or used to strip the lead paint off. Thanks, Christy

• Kuntreprinces

Beautiful!! For myself, I would add another shelf. Did you notice the “cross” shape on the door? It is how travelers recognized a kindred sole ! If help was needed, a person would look for the cross and know they could trust those inside to help.