Bridgett G
Bridgett G
  • Des Moines, IA

Flea Market Light Fixture for My Deck

Our big project for the summer is to re build our deck and add a pergola roof. A few months before we started the project, my husband and I were walking around a flea market and I found myself looking at light fixtures. I got to thinking it would be nice to hand a light from the pergola roof. I found this sad little fixture and first thought that I could place mason jars over the bulbs (been seeing people doing that all over the internet), but Mike picked up a glass insulator and asked why not use them instead. I liked the idea, especially since I have a ton of those insulators laying around the house. My next decision was paint color. Decided on a hammered brown spray paint....and then I found green glitter spray paint. I painted the little flowers metallic purple. A good layer of clear coat, and my "new" light fixture was done.
flea market light fixture for my deck, decks, lighting, mason jars, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
Before. Kinda ugly, but I had a vision....
This helped, but not done yet...
These two came next. The glitter spray was kinda messy. Glitter flew everywhere. I tried to just aim for the leaves, but gave up...there was no way. The leaves however have the heaviest coat of glitter. I then took a small craft paint brush and painted the flowers purple.
..And then it looked like this.
And now as of yesterday....wired, hung, and lit. I have little LED C7 size bulbs in it (only place I have found those bulbs is at Mendards). It is not overly bright, but gives a nice amount of accent lighting.