My 1929 Charmer
My 1929 Charmer
  • Oak Lawn, IL

Kitchen Updo: Lightening Up the Backksplash

After remodeling our kitchen 7 years ago there was one thing I regretted, how dark our backsplash was. I set out to lighten it up, this was an easy and effective way to do it.
kitchen updo lightening up the backksplash, home decor, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, paint colors, wall decor
Backsplash before lightening up
Backsplash before lightening up
I chose copper tin backsplash, and it made our kitchen look so dark. I wanted to replace it with either beadboard or subway tiles. But Mr. C said no. But I wasn't giving up, this needed to be lightened up!
I had Annie Sloan Old White paint and painted the tin tiles. But it was a little too stark, and the texture of the tiles weren't highlighted. I didn't give up!
I use a distressed in ink pad to "age" the tiles, and it also highlighted the details of the tile. After drying I spray with a clear poly.
I love how pretty, and how much brighter our kitchen looks.
My 1929 Charmer